Ugh oh did I forget something?????

Started by mitchman, June 14, 2017, 03:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchman

So recently I serviced my Avet EXW30 and older EX50, and when I was cleaning up I found a washer on my work bench that I can't identify! I was fairly certain that it belonged to one of the reels, but after cracking the sideplates and pulling the spools out it seems that everything is in place on the spool shaft?!?! Not sure if its from somewhere on the gear set? So can anyone identify whether this is a missing part to an EXW30 or EX50? I do a lot of servicing reels and boat parts on the work bench so maybe its from something else. Attached are photos and dimensions.

josa1

Hi mitchman,

One of the perplexing things.....EXTRA PARTS LEFT OVER!  :o

I don't recognize this as an AVET part, but I've never serviced a 30.  I've seen these kind of washers space the clamshell drag adjustment washers away from the spool on other reels.

How does the reel function?  Drag adjusts? Free spool?  etc.?

Good luck!

josa1

akfish

I think it goes under the handle on top of the drive shaft bearing.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

SoCalAngler

I think your right akfish, it looks to me like the handle arm thrust washer. In the EX 30 part number 49, in the EX 50 part number 50. I think it is the same washer on both reels.

Edit: If it is the handle arm thrust washer it should have a lip on the inside diameter on one side of the washer. Also you should be able to see it under the handle when looking at the reel. So it should be pretty easy to tell which reel is missing it.

mitchman

Thanks guys I will take a look under the handle and let you know.

mitchman

So it does not appear to be either of those two washers  ??? Maybe its from something else....

sdlehr

No one has asked yet: do the two reels work as designed without this part?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

alantani

not familiar to me, either, but i'm guessing it's 47-A for the handle. here's the schematic for the 30.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Part 47-A or should I say parts, consists of 3 bearings, two washers and one nut, it's called the handle knob inside set. I was thinking the same thing at first but with a OD of over 13 mm that's just too wide for inside the handle. Got me stumped.

Edit. Even if you fudge the mm numbers one way to the other a bit to convert to inches I come up with some very odd fraction of a inch numbers. IMO most reel manufactures won't go to those tight tolerances in inches or millimeters. Were you working on some more precision things on your workbench before you found that washer?  

mitchman

So after checking out part 47A amount others it doesn't seem like its any of those! I'm stumped as all the belleville washers and handle/gear washers are in place. Both reels functioning fine. I'm going to just go with it and see which one breaks first, ha! Hopefully just a spurious part from working on other reels or boat motors....

STRIPER LOU

Hey Mitchman, unfortunately this is an after the fact suggestion. When servicing I always have a large plastic tote with clear plastic cups in it. As I dissemble, I add parts to the cups and try to categorize them.

Screws in one, drag components in another, gears in another and so forth. I may have a large group of reels in for service and this helps me keep track of things! All the totes get labeled.

Good luck,  ..  Lou

Gfish

At the very least, a great object lesson on something I hardly do often enough, clean off my work area, FIRST!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!