Okuma titus 15, Nonexistant dragwasher required

Started by Navidad Nutcase, June 14, 2017, 08:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navidad Nutcase

hi all, I have an OKUMA TG15 II stripped to the bones. Was quite a mess but it is clean now. Thanks Alan for the gear removal tip. It is missing the drag plate (see alan's photo I snitched from a tutorial) I have contacted scott's, Mikes's,  Tuna Troubles and Tried to get someone at Okuma. The first 3 have no idea what I am looking for and Okuma is "unavailable for comment".
The problen is this:  the first schematic to regongnize this drag washer is a TG20 and I'm betting it will be to big. All "TG15" schematic except 1 , do not show this washer at all, and the 1 that does (ref#611-1 in the exploded view) does not have a ref#611-1 listed in the parts list. Any ideas on what why or how here ? My reel spool looks exactly like the 1 in Alan's photo, notches and all. It is not smooth, so I can't just stick a carbon fiber washer on top of those notches. It will pile up for sure.

Thanks for any help. I will be slow to respond as not in a very "internet friendly " village here in Mexico at the moment.

In previewing this post - I see no pictures. will post anyway. the photos I am refering to are in a tutorial from Oct.7,2008
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

alantani

gotta cut one by hand and then glue it to the spool.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

what you are looking at is the underside of the backing plate.  glue the drag washer to the backing plate if you have one. 

Navidad Nutcase

Thanks Alan.
I will indeed have to make one. I don't have the backing plate at all. What I can't figure out is this. You had one apart so they do exist. I have one apart. and it  plainly shows something besides a carbon fibre washer is needed betwoon the spool and the "other carbon fiber washer (part  ref.# 611), and yet no mention in any schematic of a 15 needing this item. Strange.

I haven't given up on Okuma. I just haven't been able to get anyone by phone. My email to them said I had to call their parts department. The reel is probably not worth the effort - but I love a
challenge.

greg
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

handi2

Greg does your spool have the grooves machined out just like the one Alan is showing?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Navidad Nutcase

yes, Keith. mine and the one in Alan's tutorial are exactly alike.

Well, mine show quite a bit more neglect than the one in the photo. Had to soaked the right end plate in mollases solution for days before the rust on the shaft would let the large gear go.

greg

handi2

Thanks Greg.

No metal backing plate in the reel? That's odd but you never know!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Navidad Nutcase

Oh I am sure there WAS one at one time. This little village has numerous people who "service" reels. I've yet to take one of my Amigo's reels apart that doesn't work, and not find pieces missing or out of place. I don't think they use schematics - they have no laptops. I know they don't use grease or oil !! So when I get done with a reel and hand it back to a friend, it has grease oozing out of every pour and crevice. (trying to get a point across) and also because I know that is the last time that reel will ever see lube.

I "know a guy who knows a guy" , but If I don't know him well enough to get one of these made I am thinking an epoxy pour about a guestamate thickness into the end of the spool. Then Hi temp contact cement one drag washer to the epoxy. and see if that doesn't do it.

I am still going to contact Okuma -but I am going to wait until I get home in July.

greg

Navidad Nutcase

update. I contacted Kevin from parts at Okuma. First thing I learned is how to date an Okuma reel(no you don't take it to dinner and a movie)  On the underside of the body foot (part that sits on your fishing rod) there is a 4 digit number - on mine it is printed not stamped and hard to read from years of wear.  this is the year and month it was made. This mumber is important to the parts people at Okuma.
Next think I learned is that not all Okuma schematics are available to us thru places like "Scotts" or Mikes Reel Repair" . Now that must make it difficult (like playing poker with 50 cards.) This is why I couldn't find the right drag washer - no schematic available for this particular tg15
Kevin looked up the part number and is sending it my way . Now PLEASE be the right one.  Will update  again when the parts arrive.
Greg

Navidad Nutcase

hi all.  been a while for sure but I finally got this little reel back together. The first parts Okuma sent were not right but I called back and Eddie was the one answered the phone this time. We spent about ten minutes chatting about the drag on this particular model. Another Okuma fella got into the conversation and they came up with the item I was describing. Sent it free and it is the right one.
Now, where did I put my fishing rod..........
Greg

alantani