Stocking a work bench

Started by biggiesmalls, June 15, 2017, 01:43:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Well, poker nights have resumed and what do you know, they're at my house now - which means that the card table needs to be freed up... and I need a workbench now. I'll end up building it myself, that's not a problem - what I'm interested in is stocking this thing.

I've been using the most random tools I can find to do the jobs I need, but they need to be used for other things around the house as well, so I need to get some stuff to be used ONLY for reels. Right now, the list I've got is:

• Cal's Grease, Yamaha Engine Grease, and Corrosion X
  • Paintbrushes, to apply Cal's and Yamaha
  • The "Ohana Special", the Milwaukee power screwdriver
  • Various flat, phillips, and allen heads plus deep metric and standard sockets for said screwdriver
  • Precision screwdriver set
  • Old Penn wrench/bearing puller
  • 6" digital calipers
  • Penn and Shimano spool wrenches
  • Blow gun, adapter, and Yamaha cartridges for working on bearings - ALSO an AT bearing packer if I can find one
  • Dremel with various bits
  • Needle nose pliers
  • Blue microfiber work towels (the Boss's special)
  • Vice grips or channel locks
  • Punch set and hammer
  • Paper towels
  • Simple green soap, mason jars, and ultrasonic cleaner (probably something close to 1/2 gallon)
  • Toothbrushes
  • 000 steel wool
  • Electrical tape and 12" cable ties (for whatever they're needed for)
  • Hemostats for dealing with smaller springs
  • Acetone or something similar for cleaning bearings
  • Q-tips
  • SS tweezers for getting at small things
  • Dental pick for getting at hard-to-reach areas, etc
And let's not forget the crown jewel - one of the last Alan Tani penn wrenches. I will probably add a line spooling/stripping station as well.

What I'm interested to know - is what tools I forgot, that you seem to ether always be using, or always need and not have. Or any tools I have on my list that you've never used and don't see a use for.

Thanks and tight lines,
Drew

RowdyW

Drew, Yamaha Marine Grease not Engine grease. For applying grease get flux brushes & snip the bristles to half thier length. Use hollow ground screwdrivers only. Don't spin bearings with the blow gun, it will ruin them. Four "0" (0000) steel wool or stainless steel wool not three "0". The main punch you are going to need is a 1/16" (get 2), Sears has good ones. You might also need cheap tuppaware type containers to keep reels & parts seperated during repair & waiting for parts. You might want to pick up a can of Eagle One NEVR-DULL for polishing. Don't go overboard on full sets of tools just get what you need. Pick up what you need as you go along. That's just a few of my suggestions.                Rudy

oc1

- VM&P naphtha
- bamboo skewers
- pen knife
- red gasket material
- slip joint pliers
- penetrating oil
- variable speed drill motor w/ chuck
- drill bit index
- needle file set
- sharpie pen
- magnifying glass
- line spools and line winder
- good light and comfortable chair

Tiddlerbasher

Buy good quality tools only - it pays for itself in the long run.
If you wish to save a few bucks buy screwdriver bits and a universal handle like these:

These were accumulated over time - just buy what you need to get the job done.
My personal preferences (by manufacturer) are Wera, Wiha and Brownells. All slot bits/screwdrivers should be hollow ground.
Oils, TSI321 and CorrosionX. Grease Cals/Quicksilver/Shimano for drags - marine grease for anything else (gears, sideplates etc.)

Lunker Larry

I know some of you downplay WD40 but I'd be lost without it. I'd also add dental pics and round wooden tooth picks.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

reelrepair123

rowdy is right on with the acid brush thing plus the sears punches and tupperware,  oc1 with the drill and drill index plus the small files, lunker larry with the wd40 which i buy by the gallon to wash parts,  and of course the alan tani wrench.   an awl for lining up sideplates and chrome rings, screw holding screw drivers a must (  vaco  or  klein )  lb.jar of penn grease, good masking tape to hold bridge screw in while assemblying bridge to sideplate, wire wheels for a dremel, plus cutting wheels, grinding stones, rasps. thin hose to slide over the the bridge shaft to hold all the drag washers in place while assemblying , then pull it out when screws are caught,  just a few of my ideas plus other members ideas,  have a ball.   harryk

Bill B

The guys have you covered....I would second the magnifying glass, comfortable chair and shop light.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!