4:30 freespool Newell 550-4.6

Started by Yogi_fish808, June 15, 2017, 01:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Aloha AT Family,
After a routine service/tuning as per what I've learned from all the reel gurus we have here I noticed the freespool time was significantly longer on  this particular reel, a Newell NL550-4.6. 4min.30sec. (4:55 on another try) is a long time for a star drag reel to spin considering the spool shaft has to pass thru the pinion gear....usually I aim for ~2 min. I promise there's no trickery or funny business going on. I polished the shaft and inside the pinion, flushed SS Abec 5 (not ceramic hyrid) with brakleen. Made sure everything was free of grease contamination and lightly lubed with tsi321. This reel does have a Tib frame to align things better and an aftermarket J.hara spool full of line helping keep the momentum going.

I'm the one who worked on this and all my other reels yet I can't explain what's going on in this one. Anyone have ideas as to how/why this reel can spin so much longer than usual?

Aloha,
Kyle

The reel in question

swill88

I can't help you with a reason except, NICE JOB Kyle!

Steve

steelhead_killer

;D ;D When the moon sun and stars line up perfectly...

Andy
><)))">

Newell Nut

First thing is you lubed it correctly with 321 and the next thing that keeps the momentum going is the spool is full of line. They always spin longer when spooled. Nice job.