Makaira Lever Drag Reel 130W info?

Started by GORDASKIPPER, September 20, 2017, 01:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GORDASKIPPER

I just read the review from Alan regarding the Okuma Makaira 50 II rebuild - 2/16/2010...is there any information on 130W on this site? I have purchased an old Fenwick 130lb unlimited class rod I will rebuild myself. I almost picked my girlfriend up off the floor. It has an older Penn 130W single speed from the 70-80's did they make a 2 speed? Reel is still in repair, is clean inside I'm told. Do I modify the old Penn or go new school, I'm concerned to parts and availability? Your opinion's matter this is how I learn.

thorhammer

I have no answer to your question but very interested to see pics of both rod and reel projects.

John

Tightlines667

Yes, they did make a 2-speed .. The 130ST was produced from 1992-2001.  They weigh 195oz, have a stated line capacity of 950yds of 130lbmono, had 2.2:1&1.2:1 gear ratios, and we're designed to be fished at 30-45lb @ strike, and 50-65lb of drag at full.  They feature a tube frame, and are really bulletproff tanks of a reel.  They are heavier, rougher, louder, more prone to water intrusion, have looser tolerances, and are more prone to salt/water intrusion than the more modern reels.  But they were overbuilt, and will work well for years.  The gears are very strong, they are relatively easy to service, and they continue to work as parts wear, or things get dirty, or lubes dry up.  The more modern Okuma will be lighter, smoother, quieter, and have a steeper drag curve with greater max drag available.  They have tighter tolerances, and will likely require regular servicing to keep them humming.  The Tiagra 130 is the standard go to modern 130 class reel, and the newly released Penn 130 will be at the top of this short list as well.  2 speed conversion of your 130H is not a viable option.  Another reel worth considering is Tue Fin Nor Santiago 130.  These are a bit steep on the drag curve, somewhat complicated (alot of parts), and require regular servicing, but they perform well, and can often be bought for less. 

If you plan to fish alot of days between servicing and you want to save a few bucks, go with the 130ST.  If money is not a problem, and you can wait a little bit, consider the new Penn international, if you want a tried and true performer, get the Tiagra, if you want to save a little bit but get a newer high performance go Okuma, if you want to save more look for a good deal on a Fin Nor. 

Any of the 130class reels will get the job done.

I am an old school International fan myself.

Just my opinion.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

GORDASKIPPER

There is this reel on Ebay but price seems ridiculous at $1200.00 says new in box Vintage Penn International 130H Big Game Reel...what is it really worth, I'm guessing what anyone will pay?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Penn-International-130H-Big-Game-Reel-/322749020268?hash=item4b2557386c:g:FRMAAOSwJoNZvDdI