Ryobi SX5 Spinner

Started by John in MT, June 16, 2017, 08:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John in MT

I have an old - mid 80's - Ryobi SX5 spinning reel I bought for surfcasting.  Since we moved back to Montana in the early 90's it has been sitting unused in a box (not much surfcasting in MT)

Recently I went on a Paddlefishing expedition to the eastern part of the state.  It turns out the old Ryobi is ok for that - it held 150 yds of 65 lb braid and functioned adequately.

I did notice a fair amount of wobble in the drive.  I opened up the reel but I can't tell if its bearing wear or slop in the bearing cups (the cups are cast integral with the housing)

The bearings are a non-metallic grey material and measure out to 9mm id, 17 mm od, 4 mm thickness.   

I ordered a couple stainless open ball bearings of that size to experiment with. 

Thinking through the process It occurs to me though that the inner ring may well bear on the housing and bind things up - I'll either need to come up with a shim to stand the inner bearing ring off of the housing, or, I could possibly use a small endmill and relieve the housing slightly. 

The other thing I'm wondering about is how to snug up the bearings if they are loose in the cups.  I could tamp in some marine tex epoxy or something equivalent - but I think I'd need to put a release agent on the bearing so it can be removed (or it may be difficult to get the reel apart if the bearings fit tight on the spindle).

Checking the dimensions on the existing solid bearings I think the problem is more likely oversize cups than wear of the bearings or the spindle.

It's just sort of a 'project'.  I think I'll upgrade reels at some point and use this as backup.   I'm not sure how the line guide will stand up to braided lines.

The Fishing Hobby

If the bearings are loose around their outside diameter in the reel housing you can use some of the blue loctite around them and let them sit for the specified time period on the loctite lable. I have done this in applications other than reels and it works great. The blue is not permanent and with a little effort you will be able to remove the bearings in the future. Make sure your surfaces are degreased and dry before using it. Also, be sure not to get it in the bearings. I have another idea that I have never tried but should work... Teflon tape should help take up space if you decide against locktite. I would try the bearings as is first, they are usually a tighter fit than nylon bushings. A loose rotor nut can also cause some wobbling. Just some thoughts, good luck on fixing it up!

John in MT

Thank you - I have to strip it down completely to figure out exactly whats up.

I would not have thought of blue loctite.  I have several tubes of the stuff around here.

John in MT

;D

Much ado about nothing.

Took the reel apart, cleaned all the old grease out (not- degreased -just wiped clean for now), couple passes over the spindle with scotchbrite.  Installed new ball bearings, reassembled (dry assembled just to check fit-up).  Works like a champ.

The new bearings are just a couple tenths of mm larger than old bushings and they fit nicely into the cups and are a bit tighter on the spindle as well.  The bearing cups were already relieved slightly so there is no chance of the inner race binding on the housing.

There is still a bit of wobble in the spindle - its a R/L reversible handle and the through shaft on the drive handle is a tad bit loose.

I can go ahead and degrease, regrease, and reassemble and feel a bit better about it.

The Fishing Hobby

Nice! Sounds like you are in business now