All Newell 322's.....

Started by r8rs4lf, June 19, 2017, 12:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r8rs4lf

Hello all! Just joined here and was recently reintroduced to off shore fishing.

My friend has been a deckhand and fishing for years.

He recommended I get a Newell 322 for local fishing here in SoCal. So I bought one, now I have 3 including a P series. Just recently purchased another no letter 322 that I don't have a rod for.  ;D

Anyways, my question is are all 300 series handles interchangeable? The handle on the P series is way too short for my taste.

Also, if any of you have a P series 322 for sale, let me know. I'd be interested.

eguinn

Yes all of the Newell handles are interchangeable, I'm not sure if the 600 series use the same handle or not, also don't overlook the G series as the are all the same reel except for the clicker & jack handle assembly, the early G series have the stainless jack handle & clickers.

Newell Nut

The original P handle was short and the second generation P handle is longer. They run about $50 when you can find one.

Swami805

Motive fabrication on here makes some very nice titanium handles arms for newells. I have a few they work very well. Has nice drag stars too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Swami805 on June 19, 2017, 09:33:03 PM
Motive fabrication on here makes some very nice titanium handles arms for newells. I have a few they work very well. Has nice drag stars too.

I've tried aftermarket ones, but the factory originals just feel way better!

r8rs4lf

Quote from: eguinn on June 19, 2017, 04:04:46 PMAlso don't overlook the G series as the are all the same reel except for the clicker & jack handle assembly, the early G series have the stainless jack handle & clickers.

Oh I'm not overlooking the G series at all, I'm just picking them up as they come along.

RUSTY OLD COLT

I have 2 newell 322 reels one with Toms sideplates and a tiburon frame and  a new in box reel I recently purchased at a local show . Great reel for stripers and blues here on Long Island .....enjoy them

r8rs4lf

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on June 20, 2017, 12:28:20 AM
  I have 2 newell 322 reels one with Toms sideplates and a tiburon frame and  a new in box reel I recently purchased at a local show . Great reel for stripers and blues here on Long Island .....enjoy them

What did you pay for the NIB one?

Also, with that Tiburon frame and side plates, does it make the reel heavier than stock?

eguinn

Yes they do made the reel a tad heavier,  I'm talking about just using the frames, but it's not really noticeable I don't think. I don't really like the idea of using aftermarket side plates, what do they do for the reel besides make them look pretty & heavier. I think the stock side plates work just fine. There is a big plus to using a aftermarket frame in that it really squares up the whole reel frame & side plate assembly. I done it with a few of mine & have seen a big difference in the amount of freespool time, almost double in some cases. Ed

r8rs4lf

That's what I figured. That's what I love about my set up, it's so light it's like having nothing in my hand. Not like some set ups I've seen out there.

RUSTY OLD COLT

When you use just the tiburon frame you really dont notice a weight difference . The side plates were added because of a cracked side plate and yes the reel is much heavier like a penn 501 in weight but it sure looks good .  The new in box 322-5 was purchased for $275 .

Swami805

I have 5 322's all different models and one with Bryan's side plates.  It makes it a bit heavier but it's not noticeable really. It also improves free spool a notch. Is it worth it? That's all in the eye's of the beholder, I like it. For bang for your buck put one of Bryan's drag kits in one, fill it with 65lb braid with a short top shot of 40lb and use it for chucking iron, you won't be disappointed.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

SoCalAngler

Not trying to put anybody down but why so many 322? Just as stated they can make a great surface iron reel and are also good for bait and yoyo iron. If looking to add other things like new handle, frame and side plates by the time you purchase a reel and all that stuff it would be more costly than buying a new reel what will IMO fish just as well if not better than a 322.

I understand people wanting to upgrade a reel they already have and the nostalgia and fishability of Newells (I have two) but for me it really dose not make sense when paying all that money not to look at something new, especially for some one that has 3 or more reels of the same size?

r8rs4lf

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 20, 2017, 04:56:32 PM
Not trying to put anybody down but why so many 322? Just as stated they can make a great surface iron reel and are also good for bait and yoyo iron. If looking to add other things like new handle, frame and side plates by the time you purchase a reel and all that stuff it would be more costly than buying a new reel what will IMO fish just as well if not better than a 322.

I understand people wanting to upgrade a reel they already have and the nostalgia and fishability of Newells (I have two) but for me it really dose not make sense when paying all that money not to look at something new, especially for some one that has 3 or more reels of the same size?

For me it's simple, I love the compact design (narrow and taller spool), and the fact that they aren't hard to service. It's a bulletproof design IMO. I've used mine to fish bottom and barracuda. Here locally in SoCal, I think the 322 fits perfectly. Still have yet to hook a yellow, but hopefully this season.

I've fished a few newer reels, but I wouldn't give up my 322's for any of them. I am looking into purchasing a 332 maybe.

As far as having a few of the same reels, I guess I'm on my way to collecting them.

Bryan Young

By the way, for those of you whom believe that my aftermarket side plate makes the reels heavier, you are correct.  In comparison between 300 series side plates with my side plates, empty (meaning only the side alone), the sideplates are 2.5 oz heavier.  But when I took a S338 and replaced my side plates with the stock ones, the reel complete was 0.30 oz heavier.  Please read http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17264.0.  I will be producing these again once the development of other reel sizes have been completed.

The reel spins better as the frame holds truer with the side plates in comparison to the SS rings and side plates.  Is it worth the investment?  If you love fishing your Newells as I do, especially if you have one with a broken side plate, I think it's a great investment.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D