All Newell 322's.....

Started by r8rs4lf, June 19, 2017, 12:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilters

that's great to hear Bryan, others, and myself were hoping you would again make the sideplate kits available to complement an already great reel.

Rancanfish

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 20, 2017, 04:56:32 PM
Not trying to put anybody down but why so many 322? Just as stated they can make a great surface iron reel and are also good for bait and yoyo iron. If looking to add other things like new handle, frame and side plates by the time you purchase a reel and all that stuff it would be more costly than buying a new reel what will IMO fish just as well if not better than a 322.

I understand people wanting to upgrade a reel they already have and the nostalgia and fishability of Newells (I have two) but for me it really dose not make sense when paying all that money not to look at something new, especially for some one that has 3 or more reels of the same size?

Same here. I have two 200 series that I'm going to use sometime, but no where near some of my nicer stuff. (Think Cortez Squidder). Or a PG251, Or just a 501/506 w/Accurate frame, Bry's drags, Alan's SS sleeve.  Still cheaper than a 322 + upgrades.

But carry on, I totally understand liking one particular model.  I have (3) of lots of different reels/brands.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: r8rs4lf on June 21, 2017, 11:31:29 AM
Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 20, 2017, 04:56:32 PM
Not trying to put anybody down but why so many 322? Just as stated they can make a great surface iron reel and are also good for bait and yoyo iron. If looking to add other things like new handle, frame and side plates by the time you purchase a reel and all that stuff it would be more costly than buying a new reel what will IMO fish just as well if not better than a 322.

I understand people wanting to upgrade a reel they already have and the nostalgia and fishability of Newells (I have two) but for me it really dose not make sense when paying all that money not to look at something new, especially for some one that has 3 or more reels of the same size?

For me it's simple, I love the compact design (narrow and taller spool), and the fact that they aren't hard to service. It's a bulletproof design IMO. I've used mine to fish bottom and barracuda. Here locally in SoCal, I think the 322 fits perfectly. Still have yet to hook a yellow, but hopefully this season.

I've fished a few newer reels, but I wouldn't give up my 322's for any of them. I am looking into purchasing a 332 maybe.

As far as having a few of the same reels, I guess I'm on my way to collecting them.

I can understand collecting if that's your thing. I just didn't want someone new to the saltwater scene to invest so much money into many reels that all cover the same line test and applications.

Since you seem to like Newell's a reel like a 220 or a 229 is what I would use for the three B's (bass, bonito and barracuda) here in Cal. As a matter of fact I do use a G220F for those fish and for line shy smaller grade tuna. The 200's have the same internals and drags as the 300's just in a smaller package.

But, if you really want another reel in the 322 size you may want to check out a Penn Fathom 25N star drag. I have one of those also and have fished it for like 3-4 years now and really like it. The features like a metal frame and side plates, nice drag numbers, outstanding freespool, serviced well strait out of the box, easy to maintain and work on are just some of the things I like about this reel.

I say get what you want but don't limit your options by not looking at other reels.

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 21, 2017, 01:18:39 PM
By the way, for those of you whom believe that my aftermarket side plate makes the reels heavier, you are correct.  In comparison between 300 series side plates with my side plates, empty (meaning only the side alone), the sideplates are 2.5 oz heavier.  But when I took a S338 and replaced my side plates with the stock ones, the reel complete was 0.30 oz heavier.  Please read http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17264.0.  I will be producing these again once the development of other reel sizes have been completed.

The reel spins better as the frame holds truer with the side plates in comparison to the SS rings and side plates.  Is it worth the investment?  If you love fishing your Newells as I do, especially if you have one with a broken side plate, I think it's a great investment.

I'll be in for a couple sets when the time comes. Will you be posting in that thread or will you be making a new one?

Bryan Young

I'll be posting a new thread.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 25, 2017, 07:39:09 PM
I'll be posting a new thread.

10-4, I'll be on the lookout!

Can anyone tell me what the F at the end designates?  For example, I just picked up another P series 322 with the F at the end. I remember seeing a very helpful page where it talked about all that, but can't find it anymore. I should have screenshot it. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction to where it's at.

Also, is there any way to tell the gear ratio by looking at it? Maybe the F designates the ratio? Trying to be a sponge for all this information.

Bryan Young

F normally designates Fast or 5:1 gear ratio if my memory serves me correctly.

I think J is for jigging and designates 4:1 gear ratio.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

The 338J model had a top bar to make it stiffer.

These are all about the same capacity.  Some are tall/narrow like the 322 and some are shorter/wider like the 235.
Penn 501/506/535, Newell 235/322, PG 280/500/501/600, TOR/TRN16, 15/30, TYR12, Daiwa SA30/30T,STT30/30T, Boss 270, Avet MXJ, Tiburon SST7524 are all about the same size (capacity).  This list is pretty old and doesn't include newer reels like a Fathom 25n, newer Accurates, etc.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 26, 2017, 03:35:46 PM

Thanks a bunch!

mrwilson99

Bryan, please sign me up! I would like to purchase your conversion to upgrade my newells!
David

Newell Nut

The M is the 4:1.

The J just has a bar on top.

r8rs4lf

Quote from: Newell Nut on June 28, 2017, 01:09:42 AM

Bar on top???

Was the 322 made with 4.1?

MarkT

A tubular bar between the plates at the top.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Newell Nut

Quote from: r8rs4lf on June 28, 2017, 05:07:11 AM
Quote from: Newell Nut on June 28, 2017, 01:09:42 AM

Bar on top???

Was the 322 made with 4.1?

Yes there was a 322M made with 4.1 and I have a gear set from one.

Swami805

I always wondered what the M meant, Thanks. Did they make a 4-1 gear on other series that didn't use a 4 stack bridge? I think I've only seen the M on blackies and P series.
Do what you can with that you have where you are