6500 Offshore

Started by sharkman, June 19, 2017, 03:38:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Purchased this reel due to high drag rating when I got around to using the drag seems awful weak.  My spinfisher 4500 seems to have more drag.  This is not based on scale just turning it by hand.  Is the drag rating estimated high on the offshore?

redsetta

Hi sharkman,
I've seen a few of the 9500s (did this a while back: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2788.0) and not had any drag issues with that model.
Might be worth pulling the spool and checking the configuration?
Let us know how you get on.
Good luck, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

sharkman

Thanks Redsetta for the link the drags are in correctly and greased from factory. I didn't see anything wrong with metals or friction disk. Even when tighten drag down tight doesn't feel no where like 48 pounds advertised. I was wrong on size it is 5500. Honestly the drag feels less than my spinfisher 4500ssv which is rated at 20 pounds. Surely the drag rating isn't that much over stated.

handi2

I have a new one in the shop. If I can remember i will check it tomorrow. I know from having past reels come through the drag is very strong and you cant turn the spool by hand.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

sharkman

I think I am getting closer to a solution. After cleaning some of the excess grease of drags the pressure increased. Contacted Fin Nor and spoke with tech about situation. They are sending new set of drag washers. Fin Nora customer service is top notch. They are very pleasant and helpful.

sharkman

The reel is finally fixed. First off let me say Fin Nor customer service is great. From the factory the reel came with grease white friction washer. Fin Nor sent me a new set of white friction washer, which help a little bit. Contacted them and they issued another complete set including under the spool washer. This time the washers were a different color and a lot stiffer.  See pics. The black ones which fixed the reel feel like HT100 drag washers.