Slosh 20 clean up

Started by hubbytub, August 06, 2017, 08:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hubbytub

Hi folks, I have a slosh 20 that took a dunk in the surf earlier this year and it had taken on a bit of sand. some quite large grains which has caused a grinding noise. I know very little about the workings of reels but decided to take it apart after continuing to use it for a few trips. I know I should have done this straight away but I didn't and had I known the grain size it would have been sooner. Having cleaned the reel. lube'd and greased it, I still have some noise when winding. Any idea how I can stop the noise? I have no knowledge in the matter whatsoever so any help for a simpleton is gratefully appreciated. Steve.

handi2

Steve the water most likely got to the bearings. A new set of bearings should take care of the noise. I don't have the sizes required right now but someone else will chime in and tell us the sizes.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

hubbytub

Keith, thanks for the reply. I've had a similar reply from another forum too where the suggestion is to soak the bearings in lighter fluid. I will try the latter first and then replace if I have no improvement. Thanks again.

hubbytub

Looked on the bay for some bearings and there was a variety for the slosh 20.  5 bearings, abec 3 and 7 ???? Now a little confused. Can anyone recommend what I need for the slosh 20. I'm not into performance casting and the reel is used on a kayak. Thanks in advance

Rancanfish

I get regular Abec 5's and they do great.  I think that is the type installed from the factory in quite a few reels.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

SoCalAngler

ABEC 5's are more than fine but if your using the reel in saltwater go stainless and lube the bearings before going into the reel.

hubbytub

Thanks chaps, I'll order some 5's. Which lube do you recommend I use? I have a 5g tube of Daiwa oil that I got with the reel, is this sufficient?

Bryan Young

That should be sufficient. If you want to try something better, google TSI321.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hubbytub

.....and when you put it back together for the 10th time, think for a while as to why there is no anti reverse. Then have another go. ::)