Restoration of a 1937 Edward vom Hofe 621 size 4/0

Started by sdlehr, June 21, 2017, 06:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Finished my second EVH restoration! Happier with the final results than I was with the last! I described the sanding blocks I fabricated for this in an ORCA post in this thread - go down until you find the post dated the same date as this one.

I've taken this reel to a little higher level in polishing than I did the last, as the spool was in a little better shape, so I pulled out almost all the stops; but I may go back and do more work on the foot, handle, star and collar, as they don't yet match the shine on the spool flanges and cross pillars - soliciting opinions...

Plates, before, I have whole reel pictures but this shows better what I started with

And after about 6-7 hours of work they became this

I'll be putting this one up for sale, PM me if interested.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

Remarkable transformation Sid.  I had no idea rubber side plates could  be restored like that.
-steve

coastal_dan

Holy cow Sid!  You're game has officially been elevated!  Honestly stunning transformation...well well done.  :o
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Tightlines667

Wow!
:o

These reels certainly are great canidates for restoration.  I would like to do my EVH 6/0 & my Perez 2/0 someday.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Thanks for the kind words. I've got two more of these lined up, I'll post up pics as they get done.
Sid Lehr

STRIPER LOU

Very nice work Sid. Thing of beauty. Your persistence has paid off!

...............Lou

thorhammer

sdlehr

Thanks, Lou and John!
Quote from: oc1 on June 21, 2017, 07:29:35 PM
Remarkable transformation Sid.  I had no idea rubber side plates could be restored like that.
-steve
Steve, think about a bowling ball. Same material. The technique involves removing the UV-affected brown layer (sandpaper) and then polishing what is left.

Sid
Sid Lehr

whalebreath

Certainly outstanding I wonder if they looked that good new.

sdlehr

Quote from: whalebreath on June 25, 2017, 04:06:10 AM
Certainly outstanding I wonder if they looked that good new.
Good question, one I've thought of before. I think this one is shinier than when they left the factory. I suspect the factory finish looked more like this last one I did

Sid
Sid Lehr

Donnyboat

Sid, that's a great job, your on another level to most of us, congrats, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Benni3

Penn Chronology

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

conchydong

Awesome. that is all I can say. Great job Sid.

Scott