Poseidon Begins 300 Jigging reel (help tweak for freespool)

Started by cryone5, June 22, 2017, 06:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cryone5

Hi I have this new Poseidon Begins 300 Jigging reel (I heard the older similar version of this was a copy of Accurate reels) which is sold in the Thai gear market, and I got mine from a product distributor here in the Philippines. Since all youtube videos related to poseidon reels are in Thai and I can't understand them, can anyone teach me how to improve the reel's freespool performance?

I could take it apart and put it back by myself but I will probably take a video doing it just to be sure so when I get stuck I can have a reference. The only puzzle to me are the spots/points/parts where I SHOULD put oil and grease for tweaking for better freespool. If anyone knows how to play with this reel, please teach me I really need your help :) thank you.

PS, I believe I have all the tools I need to break it down, some brushes, WD40, Yamalube marine grease, Wolf bike chain oil (will get a better one next time, for now I will use this).

boon

I reviewed one of the original Poseidons for a distributor here (NZ) - a few of the screws were very low quality, be careful when disassembling/assembling it.

For pure freespool, remove the spool bearings, remove the shields, soak them in white spirits then blow clean with compressed air, then very lightly oil. Reinstall without shields.

That's about all you can do. Maybe remove the clicker assembly on the left side if you don't need it.

Tiddlerbasher

You could try sleeving the spool shaft:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=138.0

After cleaning the spool bearings lubricate with a drop of TSI321 or TSI301 - The general advice is remove shields (carefully) ;)

JRD

I bought one of Poseidon 150 size reels.  In part after reading Boons review.  It's held up well after 1/2 a season here in southern California although not pressed by a big fish yet.  My freespool was not good.  A precise service is necessary since the internals were dry.  The bearings are not the best quality and that's gonna limit your free spool.  Clean as indicated.  I un shielded the spool bearings, cleaned with break cleaner then used Speed X.  It improved free spool from 15 seconds to about 30.  I noticed it most when casting.  It's well worth the time, but I will chime in on needing to take care with the screws and some little prices inside.  Grease all surfaces!

cryone5

this model that I got is the 2017 model, they removed the cast control on the other side of the reel.

I didn't open the reel when I bought it and I already used it in the sea 2x. hmm. I definitely should have opened it first and applied some lube and grease for protection... I will do that first thing next week before I go on another trip

so, it's all in the spool bearings huh. I will check it out next week. I will definitely improve that part when I get the chance to, and buy better lube when I get the chance to. It's hard to look for bearing dealer here in the Philippines. I will talk to a dealer of fidget spinner bearings, maybe he can help me.
for now, I will use my bike chain lube.

I forgot to ask why leave the spool bearing unshielded when assembling?

Tiddlerbasher

Cos' it can reduce friction (sometimes) and if salt water gets in it can get out again (rather than being trapped by the shields) ;)

JRD

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on June 23, 2017, 08:31:58 AM
Cos' it can reduce friction (sometimes) and if salt water gets in it can get out again (rather than being trapped by the shields) ;)

And with a lighter oil that evaporates I feel I can get a better coverage than just putting a few drops on the shield and waiting for it to soak into the gap between the shield and race.

Here is the short write up I did.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19853.0

cryone5

Hello everyone. I tried to open my reel up last night and . I had a problem with the C-clip but all was good after working on it for a while. I was removing the (6-point star) screws but my screw drivers failed by chafing and bending after removing 2 of them (out of 6). I got my toolkit for a cheap price so I kinda expected it to fail. I will get a new kit later and continue opening it up later on

I only opened up the lever drag part and to my surprise it was bathing in generous amount of grease. I expect it to be the same on the inside, so less work for me I guess. I will only put marine grease on some parts lacking protection after cleaning and lubing the spool bearings.