Question...stradic C3000

Started by Dawn, June 22, 2017, 06:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawn

Carbontex drags in...any idea why the drag would have very little adjustment?    Goes from not much to a lot of drag.

Dawn 
Dawn

Wolli

Hi Dawn, try to explain.

The stradic has ex works felt washers. The stuff is soft and requires more turns with the drag knob to squeeze them together. CF can not squeezed together. When the gradients of the threads of the main shaft and drag knob are too steep, there is no much play for proper drag adjustment. Two or three turns with the drag knob and your are from free to full drag. The grip of the 1.0 mm (coarse/coarse) is very strong. In my opinion too strong for such small spinner. Recommend to double two 0.5mm (fine/fine) washers which react much more sensitive. Same i do in all small BC and spinners where 1.0 mm washers are required. (in case 0.8 mm are required, i remove with sand paper (600) the hard weave tips from the coarse side)

Good Luck

Wolli

love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Dawn

Thanks Wolli, this reel has the newer drag style in it, that are .025 thick.

Dawn
Dawn

Wolli

Dawn,

0.025 multiplied by 3 washers = 0.075 x 25.4 = 1.9 mm (its easier for me to calculate with mm instead inch...

one of the following combinations should work:
a) three 0.5 mm
b) two 0.5 mm plus one 0.8 mm
c) two 0.5 mm plus one 1.0mm (one tenth thicker will be no problem as long the retainer fits)

Wolli
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

exp2000

Quote from: Dawn on June 22, 2017, 06:09:31 PM
Carbontex drags in...any idea why the drag would have very little adjustment?    Goes from not much to a lot of drag.

Dawn 

The compression spring inside the drag knob may have lost it's "spring" and be permanently compressed or possibly even broken.

Gfish

That'ed be my guess. I did mine from felt to C-tex and the ramp-up 'er down is still real gradual.
Gfish

On the other hand mabey disregard, mines an older FJ 3000.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RandyMFoster

Hi I own a stradic c144000fa I am having the exact same result as you. Which leads me to believe its not the compression spring. I've even tried severely over greasing the drag stack which had minimal effect. Carefully setting you're drag before you fish in according to what you are fishing with/for depending upon I try to keep it as light as possible 2-3 lbs max when fishing terrble lures. More when fishing texas rigs. It takes some geting used to I've lost fish riping hooks from mouths adjusting more then a click or two.Be aware you're drag will go much higher then you're reel can support bending  you're bail arm and causing other part failures if left turned that high. I hate to say this because I feel felt is inferior and I switched because my felt washers degraded significantly after 6 months of heavy use pulling redfish out of mangroves. I replace felt in every other reel I've ever serviced/owned and had possitive results even in a small pen sargus 3000 but I might switch back with this reel

Update: I decided to to sand down the metal drag washers very slightly as evenly as possible using 400 grit fine sandpaper I removed alittle off the flat side of each one and it did the trick a lot more adjustment on the lower end lower max drag which is fine before the max drag would of caused reel failure it didn't seem to take very much to make a drastic improvement in the drag . of course if you try this be very carefull be aware if you sand them uneven or take off to much you will need to buy brand new washers.