Braid for 9/0, and 980 Mag capacity?

Started by biggiesmalls, June 24, 2017, 02:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

I'm pretty much dead-set on some JB backing for the 9/0, to up my line capacity for if/when the big one comes. My only question now is what pound test?

I will be running 600 yards of braid, no matter what pound. I am thinking 100# solid core, but do you think I'd be fine going with 80# solid? It's the same cost and I can get even more line on there. I'll probably get a few yards of hollow core to splice in the mono, instead of a knot.
Probably going to use a topshot of 100# mono - unless anyone recommends otherwise.

Also - does anybody have a figure for the actual capacity of a 980 Mag Power? Picked one up from Sheridan (thanks again, btw), and wanted to know its actual capacity (it's rated for 400 yards of 20#, but their stated capacity for a 9/0 seems to be about 18% off, so the Mag Power capacity might be as well).

Tight lines
-Drew

mizmo67

980 400/20# was an estimated capacity based on lines available in the 1980's
Modern lines have thinner diameters, so it would hold more.. but would still vary a lot depending on the line type.
Someone might have notes about what they have put on it and what it took.

I think you could do 80# on the 9/0 without an issue.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Swami805

I'd send them to Alan T. and have him spool them up for you. You'd be getting exactly the amount you need and it would be spooled on correctly. It needs to be on tight or it will dig in and you've got a problem. Since you won't be buying more than you need I don't think it will cost much more. Take all the guess work out.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

biggiesmalls

Thanks for for suggestions. I'll go for the 80# braid, since I'm spooling the 980 with it as well - I can just buy a big spool of it and be done.

I would send them off to be spooled, but I'm going to be doing a big order from Lee to have all my reels respooled. Tackle shop has a line winding station so I'll have it done there under a good amount of pressure.

I'm going to have the 980 filled with 80#, and then put the rest on the 9/0 and top it with 100# mono. That'll make sure I don't end up wasting any of that line.

mizmo67

I wouldn't go higher than 50# on the 980, unless you hear back from someone who's fished heavier# modern lines on it with good results.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Keta

Quote from: mizmo67 on June 25, 2017, 12:52:25 PM
I wouldn't go higher than 50# on the 980, unless you hear back from someone who's fished heavier# modern lines on it with good results.

50/60 is what I recomend for 25# to 50# rigs.  I rarely use Spectra under 40# except on my smaller steelhead and kokanee reels that are filled with 20#.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Benni3

9/0 1000yds of 100lb braid top shot with 80lb ,,,,the liter is the main part for what fish you are targeting

biggiesmalls

Will probably be ordering some 60# for the 980, then. I'll be using a 10' leader of 80# on that reel for my 'topshot'.

js1172

use to use the hollow core splice, till I learned to tie the FG knot, now that's all I use braid to mono, do use the red phillips knot to tie flouro to braid on occasion.
js
Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, ya might meet them both if ya show up here not welcome son
way out here/Josh Thompson

Donnyboat

Drew, you have possibly made your decision by now, I spooled a 114H with 130lbs braid, solid chrome brass spool, 495M, not long ago, stillroom for 50 to 80 M of top shot, one point, I use Saratoga braid, 500M spool, about 150M, into the spool there was a rough join, with about 3 M of untidy braid, hence the 495M I placed on the spool, I tried to email a complaint to Saratoga, but the email came back to me, as incorrect address, I will never buy it again, hope this helps, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat