Too much work time to fish

Started by otownjoe, June 24, 2017, 01:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otownjoe

I am headed out to the Skyway bridge  in Tampa today. I haven't been fishing in a while and just had to get out. Not sure what  I might catch as I haven't fished there in a long time. Hopefully what I learned 10 years ago is still relevant I'm making the last stop at Wal-Mart for bait and ice. I've loaded to much gear as usual but the great thing  about fishing the bridge is you can drive out on the pier. No unloading and carrying your gear. If you don't use it it can stay in the truck.  Next stop relaxation, eta noon. Wish me luck. Joe

Rancanfish

Get 'em Joe.  You realize you are required to post a report now right?   ;D

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Benni3

Good luck,,, :D on your fishing trip

otownjoe

Thanks for the encouragement. I always think about posting a report but never do it. I committed myself by posting  before I left.
Now I get to do a real time report with updates hopefully when I actually catch something. Here's some pictures of the pier. I've got my first bait in the water and ready to finish setting up. Joe

Shark Hunter

Nice Pinfish! ;)
Now put him on the hook and move up the food chain.
Life is Good!

otownjoe

Well at least I got the skunk off. The water is really dirty and the dolphins are stealing all the live baits. I did manage one 20" grouper on a dead bait.still daylight left so I'm not giving up yet. Joe

Benni3

Good job on the grouper,,,the best it yet to come

thorhammer

ReelFishingProblems

Joe,
I've been going at night after work on fridays. Haven't been in about a month though.

Looking forward to heading out there with you one of these days

Nick

otownjoe

I think night fishing would be better this time of the year. The heat was unbearable after the clouds went away. I wanted to stay and fish for snapper after dark but I was cooked.  I used some old sunscreen that was ineffective and by the time I realized it I was done.    The grouper bite was consistent but they were all shorts. The mackerel didn't show up till later in the day and I only saw one caught. The skyway is one of my favorite land fishing spots. I look forward to getting  back there and learning more about how to fish the area now that the east side is closed . It would be nice to meet up with some AT people and see if we can catch some fish. Joe

thorhammer

BTW, sunscreen with titanium dioxide as the active should last well past expiry period. octinoxate, homosalate, etc. are chemical sunscreens and could deteriorate.

otownjoe

Thanks for the info on the sunscreen. I like to use spray instead of creams so I don't get it on my hands.I think I might be better off carrying something to clean my hands instead of using spray. You would think after living in Florida for 40 years I would have it down by now. Seasickness and sunburn and all it takes is one good fish to make it worthwhile. Joe

Decker

Hi Joe, appreciate your post.  I'm in a similar boat (or lack thereof :D)... no time to fish.   I live close to New jersey and would like to get set up for bridge fishing.  I'm interested in your gear.  What reels rods and lines do you use? 

otownjoe

Bridge and pier fishing can be tough on rods. With conventional reels I prefer glass rods with foulproof stainless wire guides. If concrete is involved I leave the high end stuff at home. 8ft is usually the minimum length I will fish with. The longer rods are good for distance casting and they help to steer a big fish into the net or away from the piling. As a general rule if I am going to be holding the rod or casting jigs or plugs I use a spinning reel. If I'm using  bait and waiting on the fish I prefer conventional reels so I can put the reel in freespool with the clicker on and wait for a bite. I also prefer spinning reels with a bait runner feature. If one of my other rods gets a hit i can flip the bait runner on and set the rod down in a hurry without fear of the rod going in the water. This weekend I used a 500 series Newell on a 9ft rod with 50#test for grouper.  A 200 series Newell on 10ft rod with 30# test for distance casting. I also used a shimano bait runner with25# test on a 8ft spinning rod for spoons.I also used a okuma spinning reel with bait runner with. 30 braid and a 8ft rod for mackerel. Next time I fish the skyway I will try something different and  try using my saragossa 10000 on a 9ft rod with 65#braid for grouper. I missed too many fish this weekend so I will try and adapt. The hard part for me is not deciding what to bring but what not to bring.  I have way to much gear and want to use it all. Joe

Decker

Quote from: otownjoe on June 27, 2017, 05:50:05 PM
Bridge and pier fishing can be tough on rods. With conventional reels I prefer glass rods with foulproof stainless wire guides. If concrete is involved I leave the high end stuff at home. 8ft is usually the minimum length I will fish with. The longer rods are good for distance casting and they help to steer a big fish into the net or away from the piling. As a general rule if I am going to be holding the rod or casting jigs or plugs I use a spinning reel. If I'm using  bait and waiting on the fish I prefer conventional reels so I can put the reel in freespool with the clicker on and wait for a bite. I also prefer spinning reels with a bait runner feature. If one of my other rods gets a hit i can flip the bait runner on and set the rod down in a hurry without fear of the rod going in the water. This weekend I used a 500 series Newell on a 9ft rod with 50#test for grouper.  A 200 series Newell on 10ft rod with 30# test for distance casting. I also used a shimano bait runner with25# test on a 8ft spinning rod for spoons.I also used a okuma spinning reel with bait runner with. 30 braid and a 8ft rod for mackerel. Next time I fish the skyway I will try something different and  try using my saragossa 10000 on a 9ft rod with 65#braid for grouper. I missed too many fish this weekend so I will try and adapt. The hard part for me is not deciding what to bring but what not to bring.  I have way to much gear and want to use it all. Joe

Thanks, Joe.  Finding conventional rods (at a low price) seems to be the biggest challenge for me.  For an 8 foot 1-piece rod, there are muskie rods, but few glass ones.  I see glass catfish rods, but I question whether they will stand up to saltwater.  /Joe (also)