New American Black Walnut box for Colorado

Started by mmayo, June 24, 2017, 11:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmayo

Kites fly the highest against the wind, not with it.

STRIPER LOU

Excellent craftsmanship as usual. Stunning piece of wood!

.....................Lou

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tiddlerbasher

Newell Nut

Alto Mare

Beautiful job Mark! I like the way you match the grain pattern, especially on the back side of the box.

You do some amazing work.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Wow, Mark, that's absolutely gorgeous! Any idea how many hours you have into something like this?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mmayo

Quote from: sdlehr on June 25, 2017, 11:25:55 AM
Wow, Mark, that's absolutely gorgeous! Any idea how many hours you have into something like this?

Sid

It took me three months, but I rarely work all day. There is no way to make anything but a third world wage when making such a box. I am happy to put in the hours when it comes out right.

steelhead_killer

Nice work!  Should last a lifetime! 

Andy
><)))">

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

coastal_dan

Stunning...almost too purdy to fish with!....Almost  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

mmayo

A new walnut series 7 box is in progress.  Walnut is far more expensive than African mahogany and requires rare wide boards and more grain matching but..

It is very nice when you put in the effort.  Photos will follow.

happyhooker

Love the box.  Reminds me of the giant black walnut tree outside my back door.  There is nothing like something well crafted out of wood.

Frank

Ron Jones

I see a little bit of fiddleback, love the tight knots on the front, really great piece of wood. Is the box cover on the front a piece of plywood or did you glue up a panel that thin?
Good, tight joinery, as always.
Have you ever considered using a gasket or flange on the lid?
I really love it. As a old-time gun nut, I'd love to see some rusted blue steel on there.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

mmayo

Quote from: Ron Jones on March 15, 2018, 03:07:44 AM
I see a little bit of fiddleback, love the tight knots on the front, really great piece of wood. Is the box cover on the front a piece of plywood or did you glue up a panel that thin?

All wood is solid walnut, usually from 1-2 boards.  I make a four sided case that includes the top.  I add the back and then the top front.  Once the door and bottom front hinge mortises are routed I attach the bottom front.

Good, tight joinery, as always.

Thanks

Have you ever considered using a gasket or flange on the lid?

I have thought of it, but not yet.  My stuff has been dry for years even when it rains or we get big waves over the house that wets all the gear.  I pity the guys with nylon tackle boxes.

I really love it. As a old-time gun nut, I'd love to see some rusted blue steel on there.
Ron