Tanacom 750 Service

Started by Redzwulf, June 25, 2017, 04:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redzwulf

Here in the PNW, halibut season is almost over and a lot of people will be putting their Tanacom reels away until next season. During my last and final trip out, I snagged up and had the rod holder break, sending my rod and reel overboard. Luckily, I still had the power cord plugged in and was able to retrieve both the rod and reel. Not wanting to put a submerged reel up for the season due to corrosion risk, I tore it apart, cleaned and relubed everything, changed out the drags for Carbontex and put it to bed. Here is the process:

Here is the venerable Tanacom 750 ready for teardown. Be sure you have a large, clean area to work with as there is a lot of parts.

Here is the schematic for reference:

With a flat blade screwdriver, push the tabs of the handle cap in to gain access to the nut.

Be sure not just to pry the cap off as they have little tabs on them that are easily broken.

Using a 10mm wrench, remove the nut to the handle.

Remove the collar and star drag.

Remove the cap and note the orientation.

Remove the four spring washers.

To remove the sideplate, you'll need to remove the four screws. Note which are long screws and which are short.

When you pull the sideplate off, be sure not to loose the line stopper indicated here by the arrow.

Remove the sideplate but take care as there are wires attached to the motor lever.

Remove the plastic bearing.

Remove rubber grommet

And then the collar

To remove the drags and drive gear, take care to remove the oring.

Here are the drags and washers. Upon reassembly I will replace the drags with Carbontex drags.

Don't forget the washer between the drive gear and ratchet.

In order to remove the other sideplate, we must first remove the wires from under the tab indicated by the arrow. This will require loosening the three screws to the motor.

Remove the motor cover and finger guard.

Remove the screw indicated by the arrow. After inspecting the worm shaft, I will be removing that as well.

Remove the retaining washer with a small pick.

Be sure not to loose the retainer, washer, and collar.

Partially remove the other sideplate and pull the wiring thru to give yourself room to work.

Here's a closer look with the sideplates disassembled from the frame.

I'm also partially disassembling the left sideplate as it's pretty dirty.

Remove the wormshaft nut.

And the washer and pin to remove the wormshaft and pipe.

As you can see, there is a lot of parts to clean. Clean all your parts and get ready for reassembly.

Redzwulf

So once you have everything cleaned, it's time to reassemble.

Here is the gear plate cleaned and greased that goes into the left side plate.

I use marine Yamalube for reel grease duty.

I also took all the shields off the bearings and cleaned them.

Then lubricated them with a few drops of Reel X.

For cleaning duties, I use Reel Kleen.

It cuts thru the old grease very well.

Be sure to grease up the worm drive.

Here is the left side plate cleaned and greased, ready for reassembly.

Be sure to use this screw when reattaching the left side plate. It is different from the other long screws as it has a flat head and a ridge down by the threads.

Reassemble the finger guard. Ensure the tab (indicated by the arrow) goes under the left side plate cover.

Be sure to grease the side plate.

Be sure to align the dog as shown and catch the wire spring as indicated by the arrows.

Reassemble to this point before putting on the right side plate. Be sure that A & B are aligned.

Reassemble the handle assembly and wipe down. Have a beer.

I hope this SBS has helped you in maintaining your Daiwa Tanacom.  If you need help servicing these reels, please contact me at https://www.rougarourods.com or sales@rougarourods.com

Regards,
Eric

Alto Mare

Nice detailed work Eric, I'm not sure you've introduced yourself, but welcome to our site.
You might be the first member that gets a sticky on his first posting :)
Hope to see more of your work...enjoy your stay!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Thanks for posting. Its the same procedure for the Tanacom 1000 and Bull 1000.

Also the main shaft may look stainless steel but its chromed brass.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

Hi Eric, great work, nice detailing step By step, However ,you did not mention anything about the electric motor, did you replace any brushes in it, did the armature get some attention, not meaning to nock you, I was great full that you started this post, I also placed, a elbow on my leed right next to the reel, then fixed the leed to the rod, as a permanent structure, so the leed was not bending in the one area, all the time, I will try to get some photos, the original leed, were it sticks out it tends to bend over the rail next to the rod holder & so on, cheers & thanks Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

Hi Eric, I have spent almost one hour trying to manage photobucket, so keep fingers crossed, it works, this photo of our Tanacom 1000, should show how I have, soldered a right angle on to the cord, then fixed the cord to the bottom of the rod, it looks a bit crude, but the cord is much flexible, and does not break, like the original shape cords do, the cord actually broke on me, and Diawa wanted it back before they would send me another one, so Ikept it, and forwent the warranty so I could reconstruct it. 2 years on & it is still going good, I have another picture of it, if this one comes through okay I will send the other one, I have painted some liquid insulation on it for more protection, cheers Don

Don, or donnyboat

Donnyboat

This is another view of the reel, yes the cord stay connected to the reel, but is not much inconvenience, I also run the reel on small motor quad bike batteries, I get about 12 hours of constant, work out of the reel, that is equal to about 4 days fishing, before I recharge, it, cheers Don.

Don, or donnyboat

Redzwulf

I did not service the motor.  I did inspect it and felt that it was ok.  While the reel was submerged, there was no evidence of water intrusion into the reel.

Regards,
Eric

coastal_dan

Thanks Eric for the write up and thanks Don for your additional comments.  Interesting that it is only a single dog...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

conchydong

Quote from: coastal_dan on June 28, 2017, 05:02:21 PM
Thanks Eric for the write up and thanks Don for your additional comments.  Interesting that it is only a single dog...

I agree it was a great write up.
I have a 1000 and although they are pretty tough little electric reels, there is a lot of plastic and having a single dog might act as a fail safe. I'd rather have the dog fail than the rest of the reel blowing up.

Donnyboat

Yes Eric it is a great right up well done, I am sorry the photos I posted turned out the same, not supposed to be, photo bucket game me all sorts of trouble, I don't think I will go back their, yes best the dog gives before the reel, the 1000 was for the wife, Patrica, she does well with it, often out fishes me, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

handi2

Don't worry about that single dog. I have 4 Tanacom Bull 1000's, 2 Tanacom 1000,s and a Tanacom 750.

The 750 serves as a dredge, teaser, reel and sometimes a kite reel.

We have had the reels locked down on Snowy Grouper and Golden Tilefish.

Never a problem with the old fashioned dog.
Gulf Breeze, FL

coastal_dan

Roger that, thanks for the added info.  I may need to get one of these down the road.  It sure would help on the way up from the depths...there are a mess of them on the head boats up here out of NJ...depending on the trip it's every other or every third fisherman with one.  Funny that the 'sound' of fishing has changed...before it was diesel vibrations and guys grunting...now its diesel sounds and 'wwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' as the guys hit there Tanacom levers  :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

handi2

If the main shaft ever breaks you will halve to break it down even further pulling the motor and wiring out.

It is needed to get to the back of the main shaft to remove the E clip. Its just like any other reel but takes a lot of work to get to.

Keith
Gulf Breeze, FL

gstours

Thanks for the pictures of your Bull teardown,  you are right,  theres a lot of parts.  I,m glad you got it back together,  and took the time to share some info.  I,m goinna zip tie my cords now to give the connector some strain relief...
   On the lighter side last year my brother and a friend were fishing a small outboard on a skiff and the motor clamp was loose and the motor (6hp) fell off the back into the water, the gas hose kept it from dissappearing,  so they lifted it back up and salvaged a good bitchfest from their wives!  :o  Some guys are lucky! ???