Upgrading an Ambassadeur 5500c3

Started by Lxsman, June 26, 2017, 04:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lxsman

Hello. I am new to the board and would like some info. I have an Ambassadeur 5500c3 that was given to me by my grandfather that I know is at least 20+ years old that needs some work. I'm pretty sure he has never done any maintenance to it. I have done some research on the upgrades available and plan on doing many of those soon. The question I have is will the spool from a newer 5600c4 STX Ambassadeur fit my reel. I am trying to change the color scheme and if I can go that route it would be easier to just change to the red spool from the STX. The foot number on my reel is 150015/44 and it has the textured or kinda checker board reel seat. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

mikeysm

They make all kinds of spools for your reel. PARTS are everywhere.
Mike

thorhammer

depends on age, they went to a free floating spool at a point in the lifespan. But as stated there are many upgrades for it.

Lxsman

Thank you for the reply. Mike would you know where I could find a new or used red spool for this reel. Website, etc. 

handi2

Try Jerry Foran on the web. He is a custom rebuilder and also has parts to sell. This is where I get my Ambassaduer parts and upgrades.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fishhawk

does your 5500 have flat sides or domed? If it has the domed left side plate it has bearings in spool, if it has flat side plates the bearings are at end of spool shafts, Two different spools entirely.
Mark

Lxsman

Mark I am not sure. I will have to look at it when I get home. I have had it apart and had the spool off of it. I do know that there is a bearing under the cog wheel.

Indyfisher

S, SX and STX spools won't work in the Sweden Ambassadeurs.