Tiburon 99 width spool spindle

Started by steelhead_killer, June 26, 2017, 09:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelhead_killer

Good afternoon everyone...

If you look closely at the spindle on this Tip spool it is cut the whole length of the spindle.  When the pinion is in free spool position and the handle is rotated, it makes a grinding, rubbing sound and feel...Thoughts? Customer bought it for a CC Custom Jiggy build and the pinion is from Pro Challenger with his new gears.  Spool spins as it should in free spool.  I have tried three difference jacks thinking it was just not clearing but to no avail.  Any and all ideas would be helpful...

Thanks!

Andy

><)))">

RowdyW

Maybe the bridge screws are to long & rubbing the spool. Or the edge of the bridge is rubbing the spool. Some bridges are beveled on the outer edge & some are not. Just a thought.        Rudy

sdlehr

Andy, After you back out the bridge screws a half turn, if there's grinding, then there has to be metal wear visible someplace - you might need better light and magnification to find it. You can also use a black sharpie to find where there is metal-to-metal wear going on.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

mo65

Quote from: steelhead_killer on June 26, 2017, 09:58:50 PM
When the pinion is in free spool position and the handle is rotated, it makes a grinding, rubbing sound and feel...Thoughts?   Spool spins as it should in free spool.  

I would think if the spool is spinning fine, and the rubbing occurs when the handle is rotated, then it must be something attached to the handle. I've had this happen when installing aftermarket drag stacks that are thicker than the stock setup. Check to see if the wave washer is rubbing the side plate. I can't really tell by the pics...did you mean the spindle is scarred when you said it was "cut"?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

It looks to me like the spindle has a flat side all the way down to wear it goes into the bearing. Don't think I've seen that before. Maybe it's that edge hitting the pinion when turning the handle?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

sdlehr

Quote from: Swami805 on June 27, 2017, 02:15:57 AM
It looks to me like the spindle has a flat side all the way down to wear it goes into the bearing. Don't think I've seen that before. Maybe it's that edge hitting the pinion when turning the handle?
I saw that as a reflection... and would think that would cause the same problem in free spool, which isn't what's happening....???
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector