Qusetions regarding Newell parts on Surfmaster

Started by Jenx, June 27, 2017, 04:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

I recently purchased a Surfmaster 100 with a full Newell package (spool, bars, base/clamp, LC-1 bearings). I not sure why I bought it, as I don't need another Surfmaster, but I know I'm not the only one here who buys reels they don't need. Anyways, the Newell bars say CN 140, and the base says model RB1. Would these bars and base also work on other Penn narrow frame reels, like the 146, 501, and 506?

Also, what's the benefit of these Newell LC-1 Long Cast Bearings? They are just plastic bushings. Are they in anyway better than Penn's stock bushings?

Thanks

Bryan Young

I believe the bars and base would work on the squidder.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jenx

fishhawk

yes, Bryan is correct, the bars do fit the 146 squidder but not the 501. I can't tell where the newell "speed" bushings help at all.
Mark

Decker

She's a beauty.  The base will fit a 501, or 146; the bars will fit only the 146.   I've never tried the bearings, but the reviews I've read were unimpressive, i.e. little performance gain.   

Jenx

So the LC-1 bearings look ugly (not sure why they are brown) and show no real improvement in performance? LOL. I guess people are just buying them because they say Newell on the package.

Thanks for the feedback.

Swami805

I think the bars,base and spool will fit a 27 monofil too. My dad gave me his #27 and I put that kit on it back in the day when they first came out. Had those bushings too, I think they called them teflon. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I have a 100 too,nice reel, your's looks prime. Was that one on Ebomb recently?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jenx

Quote from: Swami805 on June 27, 2017, 11:00:36 PM
I think the bars,base and spool will fit a 27 monofil too. My dad gave me his #27 and I put that kit on it back in the day when they first came out. Had those bushings too, I think they called them teflon. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I have a 100 too,nice reel, your's looks prime. Was that one on Ebomb recently?

Yeah, I bought it on ebay last week. I hadn't planned on buying another surfmaster, but for whatever reason this little reel had gotten overlooked. I found it with an hour left at auction, no people watching, and only one bid. So put in a bid in the final seconds and won it for $36. Free shipping and handling. Considering the price the Newell narrow frame spools alone sell for I couldn't pass on it. Yet, now I see another surfmaster 100 up for auction, it's stock, no Newell parts or aluminum spool, and it has pitting on the chrome, yet it still has multiple bids, and after shipping and handling it will cost the buyer more than what I paid for mine.

Ebay can be weird sometimes.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Glad you got it, I was the other bidder hoping to steal it like you did. Good to know it went to a member.
Do what you can with that you have where you are