dam quick 1400

Started by handyandy, June 27, 2017, 05:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handyandy

how big is a quick 1400? how does it compare to other quicks? is it around the size of a 220 or more of a 330 size

foakes

About like a 330 size -- however, a little longer, skirted spool, other major differences also.

Good reels -- just tough to get parts for.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

QuoteAbout like a 330 size

?......I thought it was a little smaller/lighter, over all, than the 330 and somewhat comparable to a 220 or 220N only a little smaller yet, since it falls in between the 1000UL & 2000, but having a larger line capacity, @ 250 yds of 8#, similar to the 2000.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

thanks for the replies hard to tell from just looking at pictures of one not next to another reel.

foakes

Technically, you should be correct -- according to common sense, Tommy --

However, these are two different reel lines -- developed around 20 years apart.

The 330 and 1400 are very close in size -- within 1/16"

One is a skirted spool -- the other is the spool within the rotor configuration -- that does makes it a little harder to compare even if both spools are at the same approximate position -- or even with the spools removed.

In reality, the 1400 weighs 13.8 ounces, the 330 is lighter at 13 ounces!

As to differences between the 1400 and 1401 -- like you said, no major differences outside of color schemes -- all black or black and raw aluminum, etc..

The one major difference in the '01 series over the '00 series -- is the improved larger drag system.  This larger surface area will allow more drag pressure -- both spools are metal -- but the 1401 spool is beefier, and will accommodate a greased CF drag disc -- which offers more control of a large fish.

The '02 series is also nearly identical to the '01 -- except for a few slight cosmetic changes -- and the biggie -- they went to a plastic or graphite spool from the old tough aluminum.  This was a cost cutting measure disguised as an improvement in weight and lightness overall.

They are all very decent reels -- my personal preference is the '01 series due to the ability to upgrade to a CF larger drag surface and still have a tough metal spool.

But these are minor differences -- all are very good and capable reels -- a lifetime of fishing if serviced regularly.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

fred thanks for the comparison pictures that is what I was needing. I knew there were big differences between the 00 series and old 110-550 reels such as the skirted spools and everything you mentioned. Never seeing one in person I was curious as to what the overall size was like I have a 220 and finesse (330 sized reel) so I had an idea as to the overall size of those. Is not really feasible for one to make a set of carbon fiber drag washers for the 1400?

Midway Tommy

Crazy, Fred, but great comparison. It's clear that the skirted spool/bail and rotor configuration make the 1400 appear to be longer but the body looks to be a comparable or a little more compact. The weight difference is a little surprising.  :o Is that the result of a difference between a plastic spool on the 330 and aluminum on the 1400?
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

As to carbon fiber, Andy --

It would still improve the drag very well on the 1400, if greased lightly.

As to the difference in weight, Tommy -- the 1400 spool is 2.8 oz -- the plastic 330 is 2.2 oz..

The 1400 is just a very tough and well made reel, and components are a little beefier perhaps, and more parts.

And remember,  both of these reels caught millions of fish before greased CFs were ever thought of -- so don't stress the details -- they are both very capable as stock drags -- can always upgrade later, if desired.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handyandy

I figured if it's made like any of the other German made DAM Quicks they're well made. I have uses for that size reel but not nearly as much as I do the 110 and 220 reels as panfish and bass fishing make up most of my fishing. I do catfish a decent amount but when I do I'm usually after large flat heads and prefer reels more the size of a super that have the capacity for heavier mono for horsing flatheads out of heavy cover. I like the looks of the 00, 01, and even the 02 series, but they seem to be much scarcer than the earlier DAM Quicks and more money so hence why I don't have any yet.

farmer56

farmer 56  here  ,  know  its  an  old  thread  but   ...  an  early  manual  came  with  one  of  my  new  to  me  reels   ...it  lists  the  line  capacity   the  same  for  the  dam  quick  1401  and  2001    ...   1401   5:1  ratio   26.0"  retrieve   14.0  oz.                                   

the   2001  quick   4.25:1  ratio  23.6"  retrieve   15.3  oz.      the  two   spools  do  have  a  different  part  number  though 

6-285  8-250   10-240   12-220   15-150       

thanks  farmer 56

'

Waydown

How does closing the bail operate on a 1400....can you close it manually or do you have to turn the crank and snap it closed?

oldmanjoe

I have the 3000 , you can close the bail manually or spin it .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Waydown

Thanks Joe, just bought a 1400 should be here in few days. The 1400 is smaller and made on the same design, I have never handled one and thought it would manually close, but was not sure. Alan Hawks got a review of the 5001 and the anti reverse is great feature of these reels and strongest system by not putting the pressure on the drive train. Have a couple Lews Speed Spin that has the same system and is fool proof...nothing to wear out and quiet in anti reverse.

Waydown

Fred, will the 1401 spool fit the 1400 reel? Just got a 1400 and it has the smaller drag stack alum. spool and am looking a 1401 spool if it would fit. Really like the anti-reverse on this reel, very user friendly and very quiet....think this is one of the best Quicks. Had to completely clean & new lube....the old grease was completely dried out. Another feature, the ball bearing not pressed on...slides right off....a C clip behind it. 

foakes

Hi Wallace —

If memory serves me (no guarantee there) they will switch.

The difference should be that the 1400 spool is silver metal, the 1401 is black — and the drag is larger and improved in the 1401.

As long as the height, spindle arbor, and width is the same — it will work.

When I get a chance, I will check it out for you and report, if time allows.

Headquarters has assigned me 11 tasks before the Christmas guests show up in the next few days.  And more are sure to be added.  But I will let you know later today.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.