Rechargeable aerosol spray can

Started by Alto Mare, June 29, 2011, 10:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Bryan, this question is directed to you.... or anyone else that could help. I've been buying those aerosol spray can to service my bearings and other parts on my reels and noticed that I'm spending more than I wanted to  on air, so I decided to purchase a rechargeable aerosol spray can. The can comes with a safety valve that prevents overpressurizing it at 90 psi, it works fair but not as good as those precharged cans that I've been buying.Here is my question,  is there any way that I can boost the pressure coming out of the can? Could I add a shot of something that would mix with the air ? :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Sal,
     I'm no engineer, but maybe use the ones with the straw to direct the air through a narrow hole instead of letting it escape in the typical conical spray pattern (like a can of WD-40)  :-\.
Dom

Alto Mare

I did try it with the straw also and it was actually slower :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Why me?  Because I'm fill with a lot of hot air? :)

I believe that pre-filled cans are actually filled at a higher pressure.  With cans filled to 90 PSI considering the size of the can, pressure goes to nill pretty fast.  I have a 3 gallon air compressor and my compressor usually starts during each bearing.  If I use it will a filled tank, and power off, pressure drops pretty fast, and so does the airflow.  The only other option would be liquid gasses, but as it heat up would surely leak because 90 psi is pretty low.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Thank Bryan, hey if I start up one of my compressors, my wife would kick me out of the house for sure ;D

broadway

Really?  It was less powerful with the straw... interesting  :-\
You can always try a turbine engine... that should do it  ;D
I'm sure you'll figure something out... you always do!
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom , 90 lb isn't much pressure and if I use a straw it won't even move the heir on my back ( keeping it clean ;).I'm still thinking about it, I just don't want to blow the house up ;D. For now I'm going back to the compressed air gas can , I just found someone selling them for $3,50 a peace including shipping. Have you ever used these cans? They work great, after I soak my bearings in TSI 301, I hit them with a couple of shots of air, you have to see how much stuff comes out of them. The bearings look and feel brand new afterwards.

broadway

I have also use the compressed air cans, but I prefer to dry the bearings opened overnight instead... don't wanna bang the balls around to much ;)
I now pretty much exclusively use Alan's bearing packers because I use grease on almost all my reels + the packers are fun to use!  ...just watch the goo come through and good to go!
Dom

Alto Mare

I hear what you're saying Dom, I also use the bearing packer( great tool by the way ) and in most cases some of the old grease comes out  from the opposite side. Sometimes you run into a bearing with dryed up grease that will need to be opened, you already know how they should feel when you spinn them. The way the bearings are pressed in, I'm not worried about knocking the balls out of alignement, I never had a problem with it. Using the pressure from the can I have removed particles that feel like shredded wood, ( not sure if it's sand or metal)and with a shot of TSI 301 they're usually as good as new if not better.

broadway

I agree with ya on the dry gunk inside, but if they're reels that I currently use that's usually not an issue.  As for the collection... those usually come with the dried gunk you speak of.  If I can, I usually go for new ones, but if not they get the treatment.  I have the 301, but haven't used it yet.  What do you think about it and it's longevity?
How should I apply it... with a dunk?
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, sometimes the bearings don't feel right even after using the bearing packer, that's when I open them up and clean them thoroughly. I do this by removing the shields and spay them with the carburator cleaner, I then soak them in TSI 301 overnight. If the bearings have the pressed in shields you won't be able  to put them back , so I usually install them opened in my reels. I do give them a couple of shots of air from the can that we talked about,  If you place the bearing on a paper towel and spay it, you will see what I mean about small particals coming out of them, I would then add a drop or two of TSI 301 and tey're ready to go. If the bearings have the removable shields, I would re-intall them and pack them with grease. About the TSI 301, that stuff is amazing, thanks to Alan. I know that you have some custom reels, you can do a little test for yourself, just add a drop on the bearings and watch that spool spin twice as long. Every once in a while a grab one of my reels and give it a spin just to test it and it spins  the same as the first day , if not more. Great stuff Dom, use it  you won't be disappointed. Talk to you later, Sal

Alto Mare

Dom, I forgot to mention that if you're going to soak the bearings in TSI 301 get yourself a small container just a little bigger than the bearing, that stuff is expensive and there is no need to waste it. ;)