Is White Lithium Grease suitable for reel maintenance?

Started by Kurly Kiwi, May 22, 2011, 04:45:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurly Kiwi

There has been a lot of discussions about the grease that can be used for fishing reels.
(I did a quick search and was swamped with hits.)
Has anyone had a try with "White Lithium Grease"
It comes in a 300g spray can marketed by CRC.
Can be used with the extension tube to get into those tight places.
Has the standard properties required for fishing reel maintenance like water proof, rust inhibitor, good adhesion etc, etc ....
Thought it might be more convenient to use as it's in a spray can.
I got a tin and have just started to experiment with it.

Fishing is a privilege.

akfish

It makes a horrible mess! I hate it when I get in reels with that stuff inside. I suppose a thick coat of it will halt corrosion,  but there are lots of other options that work as well and are easier to deal with.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

yeah, i tried it once and didn't like it either.  can you get inox products out where you are?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dave RI

I also vote no for white lithum grease , had a reel come in a few weeks ago that was loaded with the grease and it was so hard the reel would not even function , they used it everywhere even in the drag !!! Horrible mess

Kurly Kiwi

Thanks for you comments guys. I assume the stuff I'm looking at is the same as what you've seen.
I just thought that because it was in a spray can it might be simplier to use.(Trying to be helpful)
Here's the web site if you wanted to take a look.
http://www.crcindustries.com.au/catalogue.nsf/web_brands/White+Lithium+Grease?openDocument
Alan - I can get the Blue grease no problems, and innox products too.
But not the Cal's grease, unless I want to pay through the nose for it.
Please note that my replies will be a bit slow as our day light hours are opposite to yours.
Cheers
Kurly
Fishing is a privilege.

redsetta

G'day Kurly,
Thought you may want to know that Yeehaa (http://www.yeehaa.co.nz/form.html) in Auckland stocks Cal's, as well as their own teflon-based drag grease, which is similar, though slightly more viscous.
It's NZ$20 for a pot, which seems pricey, but I've done about 20 reels and am just over 1/3 the way through...
Also, Dawn at Smooth Drag (http://www.smoothdrag.com/) is excellent to deal with and it actually works out cheaper than the above option, despite the exchange rate, postage etc.
Righto, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

plastic tiki

Definitely give the white lithium a miss, it makes a mess and seems to harden quite quickly. Inox MX8 works okay but i'd stick with the yammie blue marine grease. I get my Cals grease from the states and it's a lot cheaper than trying to buy it here in NZ.
The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!

wallacewt

when we had the heat wave in perth a couple of months ago i had a jar of cals and a tube of inox mx6 grease on the table in my tin shed.cals seperated but the inox didnt.i dont know if it matters all that much.i remixed the cals,was ok.inox is half the price and readily available in oz.i cant feel any difference in the two.

inox mx6 grease for drags.good stuff