Penn 714z

Started by L Fowler, November 10, 2018, 04:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L Fowler

I am working on a Penn 714Z. I am trying to take the spool sleeve off the spool shaft. I have taken the pin out but the sleeve won't come off but it will spin. I don't want to try to force it off because that usually ends up being a bad decision. It doesn't look corroded but the button won't move up and down.  Thought I would ask before I did something I would regret.

foakes

Welcome aboard, LJ —

As you know, the chrome button on top of the spool sleeve needs to cycle up and down to release the spool assembly from the spool shaft.

As the button is depressed, it forces the (3) copper keepers connected to the spool shaft to release the spool.  The button is spring-loaded.

Could be a couple of things — but the most common is that the button has some corrosion preventing the movement downwards.  

Before breaking parts (which may happen anyway) drip some decent penetrating oil on the top area around the chrome button — and also try to work some in on the underside, if possible.  Let it work for a couple of hours — check if it frees up.

If no joy — remove the spool shaft from the reel — support the South end within a drilled hole in a piece of wood — find a small hardwood dowel to match up with the button.  Then tap the button carefully with a hammer — to see if you can get the button to depress and release while using a little outward pulling pressure on the spool.  Then, if successful, clean everything up inside the sleeve and on the shaft.  Lube it and check for proper operation.

If any parts are broken such as the copper ears, spring, or button — you may need one or two parts.

This is the only way I know of to attempt a save on one of these.

Very nice reels!

Let us know how you come out, and if you need any additional help.

Others on here may have a different or better method.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Welcome, LFowler, from Minnesota, and good luck with the Penn.

Frank

L Fowler

Thanks for the info. I ended up putting penetrant on it and then tapping with a hammer. That worked. It was corroded inside. It came out fine. Thanks again.

foakes

Glad you got to the bottom of the issue, LJ —

You likely already know — but for those who may not — a couple of hints:

After everything is cleaned up, corrosion removed, and smooth — use a dab of good grease on the copper keeper flanges and the part of the spool shaft where the sleeve rests.  Also, if only used in freshwater, TSI321 is excellent here.

Plus, consider popping off the spool when back home.  Just keep the spool and reel together in a breathable cloth bag.  No UV's, no garage crud, no dust, ready to go.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.