Penn Factory Photo To Share

Started by coastal_dan, June 29, 2017, 01:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Don - I tried emailing it to you but it got kicked back as 'non-deliverable' but it's sent fine to numerous other folks.  Shoot me another email when you get a chance and I'll respond to it, you should still have mine.

All other PM's and Emails responded to.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

Hey, folks who visited the plant last spring with me - Sal, Dan, Dom, John - I hope I didn't forget anyone - there is a one-story part of the plant on the back of the left side - I don't think this is still there - isn't that where we parked?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Alto Mare

Yes sir, that is the entrance and also where that cool drag testing machine sits.
I passed by yesterday, that place is always spotless...cosidering its location.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Ok, so I guess we parked in that little wedge-shaped grassy area that is now a paved parking lot...
Sid Lehr

Alto Mare

Yes, we parked right behind Mimmo's Pizza. Of course the parking lot is now larger.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 06, 2017, 12:42:47 AM
Yes, we parked right behind Mimmo's Pizza. Of course the parking lot is now larger.

I here Mimmo's subs are great ?

Alto Mare

Here is an areal shot of what it looks like today:
Click on the link and wait a couple of seconds, the pic should show up :-\
https://earth.google.com/web/@40.00431157,-75.17949549,47.53201113a,336.63441983d,35y,121.75894258h,14.99509749t,-0r
Looks like 5 buildings were added along the way, the .  I'm wondering if they ever made Mimmo's Pizza an offer to expand to the corner property...  they probably did .

coastal_dan

Mimmo's is mediocre at best, no disrespect to the owners/operators but just leaves a lot to be desired; we went there in college once.  Just ask Dom about his slice  :D ::)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Donnyboat

Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Quote from: coastal_dan on July 06, 2017, 12:04:37 PM
Mimmo's is mediocre at best, no disrespect to the owners/operators but just leaves a lot to be desired; we went there in college once.  Just ask Dom about his slice  :D ::)
No disrespect, but it is what it is, mediocre...if that :-\
There must be dozens of Mimmo's Pizza, a good friend had one in Roxborough, right down the street from you.

On that google pic, I'm not sure all are able to get it. If you do, click on 3D, It will take you around the black...pretty neat.

sdlehr

Sid Lehr

George6308

The three buses in the photo are PTC Macks on the A route. The junk yard property in the upper right was used to build a school in the early 70's while the building on the right of the Penn plant is The Woman's SPCA.  The gas station on the other side of Hunting Park Ave has been a McDonald's for some time.
Nice ball bearing was on the NE corner of Hunting Park & Allegheny Ave diagonally across from the plant across from Mimo's Pizza. Their bearing's were used in the early 700 reels. Alleghany Ave is the location of Mimo's.
This area of Philadelphia is known as "Swampoodle" and people who lived in the neighborhood were known as Swampers.

Alto Mare

Thank you George, interesting information.
I'm going to go ahead and make this a sticky, too good not to.
Any more information George, don't be shy.

Sal

coastal_dan

Wow, some great info there George!  Funny that there is still a gas station to the lower right of that photo...not quite in the same location, but close.
Dan from Philadelphia...