Decent Day on the Big Pond

Started by STRIPER LOU, June 29, 2017, 11:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Fishing has been good but not outstanding.

The Big girls took a path from Montauk Point across to Block and up to the Cape. The Canal for the past 10 yrs or so has been amazing. Its seems as though there's been no shortage of bait up there and that's the drawing card.

Also the fact that things are way behind schedule and the water temps here are still 65 deg. doesn't help. A run over to the NY side showed temps to be the same and ton's of small fish.

So fishing has taken on a different strategy to connect. Most of the rivers are loaded with Bunker, to the point that bass will hardly look at anything else. In the river's shallower water they're easily spooked. If you can get an outgoing tide to coincide with daybreak when the fish are filtering out of the river, you have a decent chance of connecting with a large if you work the shoreline!

That was the case this AM. 5 fish in the 25/35 lb range were caught and released except for one. All were taken on the old reliable Slope Hd Swimmer and in 20 ft of water and less. The stomach contents of this 35 lber were A bunker and a scup. Just like last weeks fish they couldn't resist the slope hd . The correct tide and time plus low light conditions were key.

All have a great evening,  ..  Lou

mo65

Man...if I was a couple hours closer I'd love to have you show me how to catch those cows Lou.
Great fishin'! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

ChileRelleno

Nice fish, sounds like a great morning.

One of these days I'll cross Stripers off my list.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Benni3

there not easy sometimes you got to hit them just right,,,,nice fishing