bamboo rod build D style

Started by oldmanjoe, July 01, 2017, 04:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Have the urge to build a couple boo rods .    NOT the usual split bamboo type were as you need tapering jig  and a  lot of hand planing.                             
D style ,     Just strips ran through the planer to get 2 flat surfaces and start glueing together.    While planing i start tapering the strip by cranking down form butt to tip. joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

Looking good Joe.  Do a search for "poor man's quad bamboo" and you'll find something that may be useful.

-steve

swill88

Never can have too many clamps.

Can't wait to see more.

Steve

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on July 01, 2017, 06:00:13 PM
Looking good Joe.  Do a search for "poor man's quad bamboo" and you'll find something that may be useful.

-steve
Thanks  for the heads up...
  I believe that is were i got the inspiration from , i have one  8 ft  built already .     that and seeing your rod and reel set up , the calling came....
  I hope to make several sticks  7 foot on down to a 3 footer for bridge pile work..    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Quote from: swill88 on July 01, 2017, 07:16:52 PM

Never can have too many clamps.

Can't wait to see more.

Steve
No truer words spoken , if i had more i would have another lay up.    Just waiting for the glue to dry   .    joe

oldmanjoe

In between the rain down pours ,i managed 4 sticks so far .    After rough shaping them , i sit with a razor blade and scrap them to fine tune them .
  The more i work with this grass , the more i am amazed how strong this is .     Well back to laying up  more sticks.  joe

steelfish

keeping a eye on this rod build, looks awesome already
The Baja Guy

sdlehr

Quote from: steelfish on July 05, 2017, 06:04:07 PM
keeping a eye on this rod build, looks awesome already
Me too. After trading emails with Steve a few times I've also developed an interest in bamboo. I bought a young clump of Calcutta cane and am growing my own - just started, so far it's doing well.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

oc1

That looks great Joe.  I remember reading something about the spine on a quad and whether the glue line should be vertical or horizontal.
-steve

Makule

I've made many bamboo rods, but we never split them.  Just cured them and used them after straightening.  Strong and light.  Certain species have better springiness while other seem to be more "soggy" and tend to take a set more quickly.

Bamboo has seen a renaissance of sorts here in Hawaii and lots of different species are now being grown.  Some are decorative, while others are for construction.  The construction types are generally much thicker walled, some almost completely solid and can grow over 50 feet in height with diameters exceeding 6-7".

My thinking is that hollow core rods have better weight to strength ratios, but I've never really tested that.  Certainly, there are rod manufacturers that make solid rods but the majority make hollow rods.  Solid rods will take more abuse.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Tightlines667

Intetesting project here.

That is much somplier then the traditional plane, taper, fit, glue, then build 2 or 3 layers.  Interesting to check the spline to see if it changes at different points along your rod.  It will likely be nuch more pronounced then the traditional build style.  This may not poss much of an issue in a relatively stiff rod.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on July 05, 2017, 07:59:34 PM
That looks great Joe.  I remember reading something about the spine on a quad and whether the glue line should be vertical or horizontal.
-steve
Steve I have been doing horizontal lay ups  ,some pith to pith = stiffer stick .    pith to planed outside a lot more whipper  . 
  I may try a vertical , i think it may use more sticks 4-7 to do a lay up , also not sure how the power fibers will react .    joe

oldmanjoe

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 06, 2017, 03:13:52 AM
Intetesting project here.

That is much somplier then the traditional plane, taper, fit, glue, then build 2 or 3 layers.  Interesting to check the spline to see if it changes at different points along your rod.  It will likely be nuch more pronounced then the traditional build style.  This may not poss much of an issue in a relatively stiff rod.

John
John     When i lay up the sticks ,i stagger the growth nods.   When i plane the stick the butt may be 3/8 thick and the tip 1/16 thick in 8 foot .
  3 stick lay up , After rough shaping ,than i start making the action i want by width ,thickness and rounding the bottom of the blank.   joe

oc1

I read somewhere that the glue joint dominates and determines the spine.  Vertical it is very stiff but prone to rolling over (twisting).  Horizontal it is not so stiff but very stable.  That was probably on Rod Building Forum in the  bamboo section.  There's a lot of information there but they are not very active.

Joe, what did you dry them with?
-steve

oldmanjoe

;D Well here comes the experiment .    I did not dry them ..      The dead fall had already air dried and the green one `s i cut and glued .
Mix and matched  , i will take pictures later today  .  joe