bamboo rod build D style

Started by oldmanjoe, July 01, 2017, 04:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Well  # 9 stick is made ,  Not sure if if I should put guides on it or a cue tip.
   I was with my father over the weekend telling him about the stick .   He goes to his toy box and hands me some guilds.
  Proceeds to tell me these  are monell guilds that were on his father `s Calcutta sticks   .    I am going to give them a light cleaning and use them  some pic     joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

thorhammer

i don't know if I'd soak them but give them a light brush with white vinegar. it will take off a lot of verdigris.

sdlehr

Quote from: thorhammer on July 17, 2017, 02:53:52 PM
i don't know if I'd soak them but give them a light brush with white vinegar. it will take off a lot of verdigris.
I bet they're nickel silver and a vinegar soak would be good for them.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

oc1

I wouldn't touch them.  They look perfect.
-steve

swill88

I agree with Steve - they look great!

Can you just polish the insides?

Steve

oc1

Personally, I would chuck up a piece of tapered dowel of the approximate size and spin it inside the eye of the guide with a drill motor.  Wood will rub down any rough spots but not scratch.  You could use buffs and very light abrasive or polishing compound too, but the dowel is quick and easy.  Or, just go fishing and let the line polish the eyes.  At some point, you might want to twist a cotton swab in each eye by hand.  The cotton fibers will catch on any old line groves that would require resurfacing.  

Finding vintage large diameter tip tops is not impossible, but difficult.  Finding tip tops of the right size and matching the rest of the guides is almost impossible.  I've never seen running guides like yours.  They look really sturdy and sort of go with the roller tips.

-steve

sdlehr

From a restoration standpoint it is important to remove the verdigris to halt the oxidation and prevent further corrosion. Vinegar will do that well without removing the desireable patina, just the corrosion. All the corrosion needs is a little moisture to continue its destructive path.
Sid Lehr

oc1

Sid, verdigris is actually a protective coating that prevents further oxidation.  It is copper carbonate. It is akin to the protective layer of oxidation that forms on stainless steel and aluminum when exposed to the atmosphere. Verdigris should not be confused with bronze disease which is also greenish but is copper chloride.  The chlorides cause very destructive pitting.  If you can flick the green stuff off with your fingernail it is bronze disease.  If you cannot flick it off it is verdigris.

-steve

oldmanjoe

Number 9 with guides on ..     fished it on Tuesday , only caught small grouper and grunts .    Never bent the pole !!!!     Maybe next time    joe 
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sdlehr

Quote from: oc1 on July 18, 2017, 08:16:43 PM
Sid, verdigris is actually a protective coating that prevents further oxidation.  It is copper carbonate. It is akin to the protective layer of oxidation that forms on stainless steel and aluminum when exposed to the atmosphere. Verdigris should not be confused with bronze disease which is also greenish but is copper chloride.  The chlorides cause very destructive pitting.  If you can flick the green stuff off with your fingernail it is bronze disease.  If you cannot flick it off it is verdigris.

-steve
Thanks, Steve. Had I thought it through I would've known that now, I've done a little reading the last few days. But, in the presence of sea water most green stuff on brass, bronze or nickel silver is going to be copper chloride.... but you're right, there should be a distinction between verdigris and the other more pitting copper salts.

Why are these rods called a "quad"? What's "quad" about this?
Sid Lehr

oldmanjoe

:)   Coined the poor man`s quad .   Quadrangle    a plane figure having four angles and four sides .   That`s how they start off , but when i get finish with them they are more D shaped ..       When it comes down to the butt it could be any shape " Mood of the day "     

Working on # 10 .    Still need to work out action and thin it down width wise .   Trying to build it to fit a set of guides i have .   joe

oldmanjoe

:o  Taped the guides on and started loading the pole ,move a couple guides and got a nice ark .        Than i really  gave it the test of more than enough load ,Crack and started going limp in the middle of the rod .    After looking at it , i took the belt sander to it and found that were i put pith to pith it delaminated .    So i sanded 16 inches on each side and down to clean power fibers .     Glued a new piece in and refinished .
  This is another plus for building bamboo rods this way , easy fixes .   pic of the glued repair before and after finish.  

oldmanjoe

In stalled the guids .    I am happy with the action .   Just need to pack -readjust some thread work and clear coat one more time.    joe

thorhammer

man that's cool. love the red agate.