bamboo rod build D style

Started by oldmanjoe, July 01, 2017, 04:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

;D    Well i broke another stick .  Out last night  caught sharks ,snappers and a few groupers.       Fought a big grouper for 18 -20 minutes and had him heading for the net .
    After the second miss /being poked and pissed ,he headed south  snap and 30 seconds later bink goes the leader to mono line 15lb connection .    I`am laughing and my buddy got the look of worry ,saying you just broke your rod .    Yere but i know what it took to break  it , besides i think i can fix it ...     A man`s got to know what the limits are .    Hindsight using a center pin , i am the drag control .    Should have let him make another run ...     joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oc1

Good excuse to make another one.
-steve

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on August 05, 2017, 08:11:55 AM
Good excuse to make another one.
-steve
:)  Not that i need a excuse to make another one , although i have one  in the works .     I was able to fix the broken one .    I added a little more back bone and aggressive belt sanded a ramp on both side of the break and filled in several layers  .      Load test seam to be ok   .     pic before and after ,       joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

oldmanjoe

Finally finished making bamboo rods for a wile.   11 in all .    The one`s i have fished with Iam happy with, now just waiting for the water to cool down .  Than i can take the big boy`s out .    A group picture.       joe

oc1

What a collection.  Looking good Joe.
-steve

oldmanjoe

Quote from: oc1 on August 22, 2017, 06:39:16 PM
What a collection.  Looking good Joe.
-steve
Thanks for the inspirational photo`s of your fishing poles  Steve .    joe

oldmanjoe

New neighbors moved in and cleaned up the back yard .     There was a stand of bamboo of what i believe is Phyllostachys Vivax 'Aureocaulis'
    Curiosity got the best of me and i grabbed some .   IT is  about 1 inch diameters .   The green stripe disappears when it drys out.

Since the diameter is small ,  the strips were scraped and sanded clean for glue up .
       No real need for tapering the strips .     I did not take pictures of the build up , but used the same technique as before .
       Stick is 60 inches long , a tick over 1 inch in the ferrule / grip area  and .450 at the tip .    This was inspired by a lonely butt  i have .

oc1

You did a great job of straightening it.  Not easy to do.  We have a bamboo that looks like that.  However, I think a bunch of different varieties have the yellow with green stripe.  Anyway, the trouble we have with our stuff is that the wood gets punky even if it's been varnished.  My son thinks you need to first pressure treat it with borate.  You can use something like the Timbor product.  Pressure treating sticks that are long and skinny in a piece of galvanized pipe isn't too hard.  The Tombor is not cheap though.
-steve

oldmanjoe

I will see how this goes ,  I do know what your saying about the pressure inpregnating .
  The guys around here like to use  Cactus Juice Stabilizing resin .
  I like to keep it old school oil and shellac  and some times paste wax .

oc1

I think Cactus Juice is more expensive than Timbor but Cactus Juice would work a whole lot better.  You have to heat it to about 200F to make the Cactus Juice go off though.  I've done some small things in an old toaster oven and it's sort of creepy when the fumes start pouring out of the cracks.

You've probably read how they used to cure bamboo by soaking it in seawater.  Like the borate, the seawater soak helps the wood resist rot.  I floated a culm for almost a month (I think).  But, just as I decided that must be enough it disappeared.   Sinking it to the bottom with a weight and lay line and then grappling it back up would have the added benefit of increased pressure.

Our old friend Sid (sdlehr) who used to hang out here found a commercial source of potted calcutta cane.  Last I heard, he had planted it in his S. Florida back yard and it was growing like a weed.  Calcutta is the best for whole cane rods.  Tonkin cane is the best for split bamboo.
-s