Gulf State Pier, Gulf Shores, AL 07/01/17

Started by ChileRelleno, July 02, 2017, 05:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

What I am seeing are wash tub size. Look like a good 8 lbs worth. So what size hook do you use that will not straighten out?

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 06, 2017, 01:14:33 AM
What I am seeing are wash tub size. Look like a good 8 lbs worth. So what size hook do you use that will not straighten out?
Those are big Spades... 
Gamakatsu 4X Octopus in 3/0, will NOT straighten out, and should be small enough...  Maybe.
#4 Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp 4X treble #4
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Newell Nut

Thanks I may get out Friday morning and give it a try.

Benni3

Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 06, 2017, 01:38:53 AM
Quote from: Newell Nut on July 06, 2017, 01:14:33 AM
Those are big Spades... 
Gamakatsu 4X Octopus in 3/0, will NOT straighten out, and should be small enough...  Maybe.
#4 Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp 4X treble #4
x2 gamakatsu $$$ but worth it  ;)

Newell Nut

Got the hooks and got clams for bait based on some internet research for baits so going after them tomorrow.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 06, 2017, 02:02:56 PM
Got the hooks and got clams for bait based on some internet research for baits so going after them tomorrow.
Wish I could go with y'all, have fun and get bent!
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Newell Nut

After seeing hundreds of big spades the past 3 trips, I did not see a single spade today. Bummer, so will try again Tuesday. Nature is mean sometimes.

biggiesmalls

Dwight, mother nature is a cruel mistress when she wants to be. I've taken dates fishing on a private pond twice now, guaranteed them that we would have a good time catching big bluegill on fly rods. I've caught 16+ ounce fish every time I've been out here. Well, both of those times we caught nothing and both times I haven't had a second date ;D
Get back out there and post it if you get anything.
Based on experience, a spadefish about 12" long will weigh just under a pound. Not sure how big of a wash tub you're talking about - but a spadefish of 8 pounds would be around 2 feet long, give or take.
This is based on the idea that so long as a fish keeps the same shape, a doubling in length would result in, roughly, an 8x increase in weight. So a 24" spadefish would weigh 7-8 lbs.
None of that matters much though - just go catch some of them!

Chile, awesome report. Makes me want to get out there and catch something! With any luck we'll be hitting up the reefs this weekend for some multi-species action.
I've caught one spadefish myself - incidentally while fishing for bait on a pier. I used to think sunfish fought the hardest pound-for-pound, but spadefish might take the cake. Anything with that broad shape is sure to give a hell of a fight though.
Do you still shark fish? Seen you on some older posts on Sharks on the Sand.

Tight lines,
Drew

ChileRelleno

Quote from: biggiesmalls on July 08, 2017, 12:13:49 AM
Dwight, mother nature is a cruel mistress when she wants to be. I've taken dates fishing on a private pond twice now, guaranteed them that we would have a good time catching big bluegill on fly rods. I've caught 16+ ounce fish every time I've been out here. Well, both of those times we caught nothing and both times I haven't had a second date ;D
Get back out there and post it if you get anything.
Based on experience, a spadefish about 12" long will weigh just under a pound. Not sure how big of a wash tub you're talking about - but a spadefish of 8 pounds would be around 2 feet long, give or take.
This is based on the idea that so long as a fish keeps the same shape, a doubling in length would result in, roughly, an 8x increase in weight. So a 24" spadefish would weigh 7-8 lbs.
None of that matters much though - just go catch some of them!

Chile, awesome report. Makes me want to get out there and catch something! With any luck we'll be hitting up the reefs this weekend for some multi-species action.
I've caught one spadefish myself - incidentally while fishing for bait on a pier. I used to think sunfish fought the hardest pound-for-pound, but spadefish might take the cake. Anything with that broad shape is sure to give a hell of a fight though.
Do you still shark fish? Seen you on some older posts on Sharks on the Sand.

Tight lines,
Drew
Hi Drew,
yeah still sharking just not talking about it any more.
Too much talk and pics is VERY BAD for the sport, both in negative publicity and the hordes of noobs who have no consideration for the beach/water, other people and most of all the sharks.
I'd probably post a big one, if another comes my way, but otherwise all I need is my personal satisfaction.
Ragnar Benson: