R646 blown out side plate

Started by Yogi_fish808, July 03, 2017, 08:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Another local Ulua fisherman on the 808shorecasters facebook page had a very unusual failure happen on his R646. The clicker side plate completely blown out and destroyed. It wasn't from being dropped either. After disassembly he found that the graphite spool had split from the mono being wound under tension and upon splitting it also blew out the side plate. Has anyone else seen this happen with the graphite spool? I've heard of P spools doing this but always thought graphite newell spools to be pretty damn tough.

Aloha,
Kyle

Swami805

Yes, I've done it on a 220 tuna fishing. Had a friend did it a G332 fishing yellowtail. I was able to glue the spool back together with epxoy and clamps but the side plates are toast. Never seen the aluminum spools split.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

First for me. The ulua guys fish very heavy.

CapeFish

It can even happen with aluminium, certain Daiwa models are prone to it, the original Saltiga particularly, but even the grandwave. Has happened to me with bakelite spools, never touched once since then.

handi2

Ive done it with a stock Newell spool. Split the spool and cracked the sideplate. At least it was my reel :D
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

oc1

Yet another reason to switch from mono to spectra.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on July 03, 2017, 07:56:32 PM
Yet another reason to switch from mono to spectra.
-steve

Yeah...at least for this graphite spool. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~