Penn International 12-----Custom built inside and out----Need Help with Origins

Started by Penn Chronology, July 04, 2017, 06:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Mike, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between 4.1 and 4.0 :1 ratio  :) ...awesome reel by the way!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between 4.1 and 4.0 :1 ratio  Smiley ...awesome reel by the way!

I could not agree more and I believe the difference is nothing. There is no difference except in the names and the specs. In 1978, Penn introduced the International 12 with a 4 to 1 ratio on the box and a 4.1 ratio in the catalog. There is no 1979 catalog, so the 1978 spec basically stood for two years. In 1980 Penn does a full page intro of the new, super fast International 12H and puts the ratio at 4 to 1 in the catalog, basically slowing the reel down by a tenth of a point and naming it as a High Speed reel.
              There was also a big change in what is offered for these interesting Light big game reels. In 1978, the introduction of this new side plate size International was created in three sizes. a International 6, International 12 and a International 12W (wide). All these reels shared the same 4.1 to 1 retrieve ratio spec. In 1980 all these models disappeared leaving the International 12H with a black plastic handle knob in place of the old anodized aluminum knob. The Model 12H was the Model 12. The Models 6 & 12W are gone in 1980, never to return. So, if you want to add a nice shelfie to your collection look for the Model 6 or 12W, they are very limited.

Penn Chronology

Sorry, but Photobucket, the free service I have used for years just went nuts. They asked me for a $39.99 per month subscription in order to host my photos. I will not say what I told them; but, know that I can no longer post photos here nor are any photos I have posted supported any longer.

Is there another way to post here?

Shark Hunter

Mike,
I spent a lot of time today and the past few to rebuild posts with lost photos.
I posted other members that I had access to.
Unfortunately, I wasn't allowed access to any of yours.
You need to log in to your photobucket accounts and download them while you still can.
Then they can be rebuilt.
Feel free to PM me.
We need to do this.
Daron
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

I switched to Flickr, but who knows how long they will stay free....
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

54bullseye

I just download all my pics to my computer and post from there. Is there a reason I shouldn't do that ?  Seems to work good.  John T.

sdlehr

Quote from: 54bullseye on July 07, 2017, 02:21:18 PM
I just download all my pics to my computer and post from there. Is there a reason I shouldn't do that ?  Seems to work good.  John T.
That's fine, as long as you only have 4 pics per post and don't want to write anything between them. It doesn't work so well for longer tutorials.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

54bullseye

Oh that allows you to format whole bunch of pics then load all at once ?

sdlehr

If you use the "Additional Options" at the lower left of the "Post reply" window you can bulk add up to four pics, they will appear at the end of your post with no option to insert text between them.....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

54bullseye

Yeah I usually do four pics with writing then do a couple more replies for additional pics if needed. Good enough for what I post.  Thanks !   John T