Got The Itch!

Started by Army_of_One, July 05, 2017, 04:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Army_of_One

No not that kind.  ;D  I've always had what I call a "tinkerbug."  It's that feeling that you have to be doing something with your hands.  I thought I had it bad playing with my firearms.  You guys brought it to a whole new level!  I've done a few other reels including a sweet 9/0, but I got a hold of a 114HLW frame and decided to run with it.  I picked up a nice 114H from "the auction site."  It was missing the handle side outer ring, but I need a different one for the HLW anyways.  Turns out the reel was a gem.  It had side accessible drags with a beautiful steel main gear and stainless rings.  The plates are two different colors, but I'm weird too.  :)  I don't have all of the parts yet, but as I sell other toys I'll get the new stuff I need.

There have been a few small issues with the donor reel.  The handle side bearing was a beast to remove as the cup was not a perfect circle.  I used a socket that was the same diameter as the bearing and took a hammer to it.  Once it was good and stuck, I secured the socket in a vice and punched off the cap.  The bearing fits perfectly now!  Someone also used a pair of pliers to remove the handle nut, so I definitely need a new one of those.  It also came with the three stack drags, so that means a Bryan Young drag stack!  I'll update as the parts come in.  Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this board to make things like this possible for the rest of us!
Another day in Paradise!

Army_of_One

Got a new spool today!  I purchased a 114H2W spool instead of the 114HLW.  I was a little concerned, but I measured all of the angles and it seems the new wide spool is identical to the older wide spool.  I tried it in the 6/0 wide that I currently have and it worked perfectly.  I still have a bunch of small parts to get, but that shouldn't be too much longer.

Here's a pic of the steel main gear as well, since I forgot that in the first post.
Another day in Paradise!

mo65

It's coming along nicely. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Im liking what you are doing....looking forward to this build.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Army_of_One

I got an order from pennparts!  ;D  I wanted to make sure that all screws going into frame were new, along with some other goodies.  I had an issue with the frame/foot screws.  There was loctite on them and I got to where it was hard to turn, then backed out and made sure it was supposed to work with the loctite.  Thank you Mo for that.  There was also some fitment issues with the new rings, but some sanding took care of it.  I have it assembled now.  I just need a grip to finish the job.

Another day in Paradise!

alantani

well done!  if i haven't sent you a wrench yet, send me a pm with your address and i will get one in the mail to you!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

You hear that Robin?
You are movin' on up my Man!
I fish with Robin when I visit Florida.
Great Guy!
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

Thank you guys for the kind words.  Alan, I bought a wrench from you a while back.  Thank you for the generosity though.  There's a lot of that on this site.  I have a handle from Adam that was a gift, and it's on this reel now.  I really like this place, and couldn't have done this without the good people here.

Another day in Paradise!

Gfish

Nice! What's up with the 3rd & 4th pics. in the beginning post: the dog secured with a slotted screw in the back- side a the head plate? Whats that screw secured into?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Gfish on August 17, 2017, 03:16:30 PM
Nice! What's up with the 3rd & 4th pics. in the beginning post: the dog secured with a slotted screw in the back- side a the head plate? Shouldn't we be lookin at a bridge plate, 'cause the cog is there?
Gfish
I put it in that way to test the engagement before final assembly.  I also use the same method to draw my cutout area with a sharpie.
Another day in Paradise!

Gfish

Cool! Good idea/tip, gonna try it.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sdlehr

I don't think I've seen a gear sleeve with a bottom ratchet shaped like that before.... it would appear designed to be RH and LH, but the thread for the star has to be one or the other, so I'm confused as to the true purpose....
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

PacRat

Sid,
There was a run of sleeves that got cut with the ratchet tooth reversed so the fix was to re-cut it. There's some stuff written about it somewhere around here. I have one in my 9/0 and it works just fine.
Mike

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Army_of_One

I got the sleeve from Alan.  I was confused when I first opened it.  :-[ I put that particular one in a buddy's reel as his was toast.  I got one from Keith(Handi2) a while back and used it in this build instead.
Another day in Paradise!