Don't Throw Out Those Old Shakespeare Sigmas!

Started by foakes, July 05, 2017, 08:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Back in the day -- Shakes made a couple of variations of the Sigma line of reels.

Front drag -- then rear drag.

These are very decent reels with metal bodies, and good features and construction.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

pretty sure there was a Sigma w/ fold-down bail, which is a good choice for backpacking...  or, maybe those were graphite

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on July 05, 2017, 08:14:58 PM
Back in the day -- Shakes made a couple of variations of the Sigma line of reels.

These are very decent reels with metal bodies, and good features and construction.

Best,

Fred

What kind of gearing materials do they sport? Most of the ones I've torn into had either pot metal, alloy or nylon gears of some sort. I haven't dug into one in awhile but I don't remember seeing any SS or brass gearing after the early '70s.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Brass pinion, Tommy --

Alloy combo main gear and shaft similar to a Mitchell 300.  Likely a harder material than pot metal -- but not HD like higher dollar reels.

Nothing fancy, not SS or bronze alloy like our Cardinals and Quicks -- but don't sell these reels short -- they will catch trout and bass for a lifetime if serviced, maintained -- and fished within their engineered limits.

These are comparable to the Daiwas, and other quality Japanese reels of the 70's -- with good bones.

These are generally inexpensive, decent reels that can be had for a few bucks.  

Not extrordinary -- just a good reel to restore and use.

There was a lot of junk and copycats produced in this era - but there are still a few treasures that most folks just walk by -- because they are used to the disposable plastic walmart reels of the last 30 years.

Just my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Goby

The early blue ones with the push button spool were magic reels. Felt drag that, after soaking in Singer sewing machine oil was as smooth as anything. For 2-6 kg line still the best spinners I've used. Shame someone stole them all! One was my daughters favourite flathead and flounder reel, she was not impressed! The next black metal series were nearly as nice and we used to sell them at cost to kids who came into the shop I worked at weekends at. They became customers and fishers for life.
Fishing, motorbikes, family, friends, beer and bourbon, but not necessarily in that order!

Chuck750ss

Quote from: foakes on July 05, 2017, 08:14:58 PM

Best,

Fred
Fred which sigmas should one look for?

foakes

Personally, I just prefer the simplicity of a front drag -- except with ABU and Zebco Cardinals.

But I believe either front or rear drag are very good -- as long as they have metal bodies and rotors -- not graphite (another word for plastic).

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Chuck750ss

Quote from: foakes on November 30, 2017, 09:30:33 PM
Personally, I just prefer the simplicity of a front drag -- except with ABU and Zebco Cardinals.

But I believe either front or rear drag are very good -- as long as they have metal bodies and rotors -- not graphite (another word for plastic).

Just my opinions.

Best,

Fred
Thanks Fred!

Shark Hunter

I bought two 040's.
One was NIB, the other to fish.
There are no bearings and the one I bought to fish felt a little tight.
I thought it was old grease, but the aluminum spool shaft is bent. >:(
Life is Good!

foakes

Those can generally be straightened with just a couple of pieces of hardwood such as Oak or Birch -- squeezed in a vise or a hit a couple of times by good heavy hammer.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Ruffy

That sucks Daron, maybe try a little heat and then straightening it in a vice? If that's no good, perhaps Fred may have a new shaft he will sell you. They are good reels, I am glad I got my hands on one too! They do have a ball bearing on the pinion, you'll have to take the rotor off to get to it. Here's the link to the breakdown I did. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22812.0 Dawn's number 2 washers are a straight drop in replacement on the drag too.

Cheers,
Andrew

Shark Hunter

The shaft is bent on both ends.
I bought a parts reel for $12.
I don't trust the integrity of aluminum after straightening to that degree.
Thanks for that link Ruffy. ;)
Life is Good!

Midway Tommy

I'm flabbergasted that those reels were made with aluminum main shafts.  :o I've never run into one of those, I guess, and here I though alloy main gears were a bad deal.  ::) It sometimes seems like there was no limits to how much reel manufacturers cut corners yet promoted their product as high quality. SMH :( 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Shark Hunter

The 060 and 080 have stainless shafts.
I'm still going to give this reel a shot.
I was a Sigma fan back in the day.
I still am. ;)
Life is Good!

The Fishing Hobby

The 025 uses a stainless shaft, not aluminum. I don't show it in the video but here is a review and a tip for alignment of the silent anti-reverse cam that may help someone out: