Large hammerhead caught from the beach at Sebastian Inlet by a member here

Started by Three se7ens, July 06, 2017, 04:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I hope he doesnt mind me posting this, but Wade Senti emailed me this link a few days ago.  He caught an 8' hammerhead from the beach on a big senator. 

https://www.sebastiandaily.com/news/local/large-hammerhead-shark-caught-near-sebastian-inlet-6871/

Shark Hunter

Wade,
Congrats on that catch my Man!
Your leaderman and tailrope girl need a little training, but glad to see you took charge of the situation and got that bad boy swimming again.
That is how you do it!
That was a Great Hammer of at least 10 feet. No need to measure.
Props my Brother! ;)
Daron
Life is Good!

oc1

My God.  That's a great video, just great.  In broad daylight no less.  I think your friends did fine handling the situation.  Setting out your rig right next to the local newspaper staff... now that took guts.
-steve

Bryan Young

Contraruations Wade. Thanks for getting the shark back in the water as soon as possible.
I must say, all guts. You will never see me doing that type of release and fishing.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wsenti

Thank you Adam, I don't mind at all. The 12/0 held up well, especially with that drag insert kit, perfect. It was quite the experience to say the least, took me a few days to physically recover, but was worth it. There just happened to be a staff member from a local paper nearby, even though its a very desolate / far off beach. I wanted to make sure to set an example for smart fishing and doing it the right way. Here is a toast and cheers to smart fishing!

foakes

Good job, Wade --

You had a plan, proper equipment, and were thinking a couple of moves ahead all the time.

Roger Penske's definition of luck is when "preparation meets opportunity".

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

intili

Awesome Job and true sportsmanship, you are a tribute to the AT community!

biggiesmalls

Wade, awesome fish! Fish like that are the catch of a lifetime.

Even more awesome is the fact that an AT member caught the fish! And on top of that, the paper published you giving a good example of how to handle these fish. Shark fishermen are under so much flak right now for no reason, this will definitely help out cause.

Tight lines,
Drew

David Hall

CapeFish

Epic fish! Congratulations, you must train your landing crew a bit though, stay away from the leader and out of the water until the shark is right in the shallows, when it is sitting behind the break that thing can rocket off in no time and then you don't want to be near the leader then  and you can lose he fish in no time. Also if you grab the shark purposefully in front of the tail with both hands you can control it pretty easily, no need for a rope. Grabbing it by the tip of the tail is not a good idea  :)

ChileRelleno

A fine Hammer to put on the sand.
Congrats and the successful C&R.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Bill B

Good job brother Wade.....saw the news article and wondered if anyone here was the fisherman.....Glad it was you......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

wailua boy

Beautiful shark and a good release. Did you see some of comments it provoked? Hate when people try to project human emotions into animals. "How would you like it..."

wailua boy

Quote from: wailua boy on July 08, 2017, 01:31:41 AM
Beautiful shark and a good release. Did you see some of comments it provoked? I think it is a big mistake trying to project human emotions into animals. "How would you like it..."

Benni3