Cheap Tricks

Started by foakes, July 06, 2017, 04:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

What do you all think about starting a thread devoted to things we have learned over our lifetimes regarding tips, tricks, and shortcuts?

Must be tackle related...

We all have some clever, common sense, and inexpensive techniques for servicing, storing, and restoring our tackle.

While it may seem second nature to us -- to someone else, it may be something they could use -- and have never thought about yet.

We have hundreds of folks on this site who are some of the premier tackle experts in the world -- others just starting out -- and everyone in between.

Share up what you think might be of value --

I would like to start it off by offering a proven way to store your reels --
_________________________________________________________________________________

Store your user reels in soft cloth bags

For weeks, months, years or decades -- safely.  And more importantly -- ready to use.

We have all opened old tackle boxes from the 40's or 50's -- and under all of the hooks, sinkers, leaders, lures, and bait jars -- are a reel or two inside of old cloth bags -- perfect, no nicks, lubed, no corrosion, haven't been fighting with other gear or reels.

Old timers knew how to store their reels, as did the early manufacturers.

A soft, breathable, cloth bag really protects our gear.

Never use plastic or non-breathable materials.

Seems like we have all run across reels that were stored in a bucket of salt water -- or the bed of a pickup truck.

Honoring your gear, your tools, and your readiness to fish -- is a worhy and inexpensive step.

We all have various tips and tricks -- share them up.

If this thread goes somewhere, we will make it a "sticky" -- if it doesn't prove popular, that is OK too.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

I enjoy the process of providing those purple bags to store my reels in too!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

Quote from: MarkT on July 06, 2017, 04:23:04 PM
I enjoy the process of providing those purple bags to store my reels in too!

Lol.  I hear you.

JRD

Cheap q-tips with the end off and chucked into a drill make great little polishing buffs and are usefully to spin bearings for cleaning and oiling when you don't want to hassle with wrestling them out a the cups.  If you take them 5 or 10 at a time nobody even notices they are missing!

foakes

Great idea, JRD --

I never thought of that!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Fishy247

For smaller reel such as baitcasters and conventionals up to about 3/0 size, I like to use old socks. They are breathable and usually will cling to the reel so it won't accidentally fall out of it. Heck, I've transported 2 reels in one sock before. One cool thing about this is if you happen to misplace the sock when you are out on a boat, it's pretty cheap and easy to replace!

Mike

ScottOz

-When taking a reel apart put the pieces onto a egg carton or tackle box with the removable dividers(can make sections small or big depend on parts). Leave them in little groups of parts on order they came out.

-A syringe can be made into a mini grease gun by using epoxy to glue a air inflator needle to the tip. Easy enough to fill with grease.

-If you can get the shield off a bearing I put them in a small Ziploc bag with a blob off yamaube and mush it around to work the grease in.Do this first when reassembling so you can use the grease left in bag to coat other parts.

Fishing related.
-When catching shark or other large fish that you want to release have a plan that the whole crew knows about and keep all the thing needed for capture or release close by and in their right home or in a large box with all that gear.We have a box when sharking off the sand.Tools like Knives,boltcutters,wire cutters, pliers, tag pole or tag stick, tape measure, torches if in the dark, tail rope etc.
My  two boy's 9 and 13 know the drill and where stuff is and can be called upon to get the gear and makes them feel part of the team also make good little photographers to record your success.A video also shows where things can be improved.The less time a large shark or fish is out of the water the more chance it has to recover from capture.We have bungled a few releases over the years and they still haunt me in my dreams.Nothing beats watching a large shark swim of strong after getting caught and tagged.

This is a great idea Fred.Hope it gets lots of folks typing.

foakes

Great tips, Mike & Scott --

If we can each learn one thing a week -- and maybe have a goal to contribute one thing a week -- that is a lot of knowledge at the end of a year for all of us.

We may already know something -- because we are not reinventing the wheel here -- however, there will be plenty of neat tidbits to store away for everyone involved.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

philaroman

long red string/yarn secured to C-clips & small springs before removal -- they don't fly as far & you can see where

bluefish69

Cut a Q Tip in half & put half in a drill. Dip the Cotton end in grinding compound & clean the hole in the pinion gear. I start with coarse compound. Change Q Tip & finish with extra fine compound. Then clean out ALL compound from the pinion hole & re lube

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

smnaguwa

I, too, use old athletic socks for small reels. I cut up old jeans or better yet sweat pants legs and have my wife sew up one end and drawstring on the other for reel bags.

Benni3

Not a cheap trick but 3m panel bond 10x stronger than jb weld and sandble it's the best

Midway Tommy

You can store reels in a ziplock bag for long periods in controlled humidity environments if you: (1) Include a small silica gel pack to absorb any moisture that may accumulate. (2) Press/squeeze out all of the, air similar to vacuum sealing, before the final zip lock.

Release at least 90% of your drag tension if your reel won't be used for 2 weeks or more.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

Inexpensive hook guards: Hobby store corks of various sizes(wine cork shaped). I like to go out when it's dark out, so I set up everything the evening before. You can still get a small enough cork/hook part-way through the rod guides.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

sdlehr

Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 07, 2017, 04:15:09 AM
Release at least 90% of your drag tension if your reel won't be used for 2 weeks or more.    
Also store reels with the clicker engaged; it takes some of the load off the spring.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector