Cheap Tricks

Started by foakes, July 06, 2017, 04:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

Quote from: sdlehr on July 07, 2017, 04:15:16 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 07, 2017, 04:15:09 AM
Release at least 90% of your drag tension if your reel won't be used for 2 weeks or more.    
Also store reels with the clicker engaged; it takes some of the load off the spring.

Nice reminder, Sid.  :) I guess I thought that was pretty much standard procedure to prevent line release & tangles. It's just automatic for me regardless of the type of reel I'm using. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Once I figured out which tools you need most all of the time --

And when I got tired of trying to find tools under other tools and parts -- I realized that better, quickly accessible and easily returned to its own spot tool storage was needed.

This is what I came up with -- for the most used tools -- left hand carousel, right hand vertical storage.

Working on 9 complete restorations for friends today -- adding CF's, switching over to right hand crank, etc..  Quicks, Mitchell's, and one old Orvis 101S.

As these are now cleaned and ready for individual part inspection, replacement if needed, reassembly, lube, tune, and fine adjustments -- I realized how much time is saved by having the tools at hand -- much like a surgeon.

All built from scraps out of the workshop.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill B

A tip I learned from Fred, is to use those plastic bread bag ties, the flat ones, to keep simple notes on.  I usually note date of service and whether CF drags were installed.  Also the model # so I can replace it after using a couple reels on a trip.  I have also found the potatoes I buy have the same tag, a little more heavy duty, and have a paper tag on it for a little more info......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

gumpie44

Have A limited Area To Store And Display My Fishing Gear. Moved To Smaller Home When I Retired... Man Cave Now In Garage !  One Thing I Found Helpful Was To Use Golf Bags To Store Rods, Can Fit 40 or so in Large Bag 30 u/l in Smaller Bag. Very Handy For Me Can Move And Sort Very Easy. Lots of $5.00 Golf Bags At Garage Sales. That's my Cheap Trick.
Barry

Also Find Thrift Store Baking Pans Useful To Do Reel Cleaning And Repair... Easy Clean Up Fewer Parts Lost In Space,  Not As Cool As Fred's Fast Food Trays, But Fred Is The Best At Organizing.
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

Bill B

Found this in the Senators section by one of our members Eric to replace a coiled dog spring:

Hi all, the anti-reverse dog spring on my old 4/0 113H Senator recently snapped in half.

Found a suitable replacement by using the flint spring from a 'Bic' brand cigarette lighter. Cut the spring down to appropriate length and now works like a dream.

Hope this helps anyone who cops the same problem I did.

Regards Eric

And another tip from Daron (SharkHunter) is to save the stainless steel inserts in your old wind shield wiper blades, grind down to the appropriate thickness for a flat dog spring.

Hope the fellas dont mind me posting their tips  on their behalf   ::)    Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

vilters

Quote from: sdlehr on July 07, 2017, 04:15:16 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on July 07, 2017, 04:15:09 AM
Release at least 90% of your drag tension if your reel won't be used for 2 weeks or more.    
Also store reels with the clicker engaged; it takes some of the load off the spring.

when fishing on commercial sportboat (so cal fleet) I engage the clicker on my reels in the rod rack - if freespool lever gets bumped into freespool, line will not pay out onto deck

foakes

Great tips, guys --

Those golf club bags are a great idea, Barry.

And the clicker on -- so the line doesn't get loose and tangled is very useful.

Another tip on spinning reels --

If you can, fold down the bail so the pressure is off of the bail spring when stored.  Your bail springs will last nearly forever this way -- and be ready to fish when you are.

Many of the quality older spinners from 30+ years ago will allow you to do this...

Some of the newer skirted spool reels will do this fold down trick also -- but not many.

A few manufacturers of high dollar spinning reels are touting this feature today.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

reelrepair123

when i strip down 3 or 4 reels to work on at once  , i use chinese plastic soup cups to store all the parts in for each reel,  no lid closing though.   harryk

RowdyW

Try some Tuppaware style containers to store reels & parts that are apart while waiting for parts or time when you can get to them. They have snap on lids & can be stacked. It keeps everything clean & dust free. Get cheap ones at Walmart or Dollar stores.     Rudy

happyhooker

I often use old pill bottles to store parts off reels I'm working on.  Label 'em "A" "B"and so forth.  They'll hold most of the small parts & some gears too.  Parts won't scatter even if you knock a bottle on to the floor if you screw the lid on.

Spinning reels; if you're not against touching up some nicks & scratches, permanent markers can be helpful.  A metallic silver one is easier than paint for raised lettering/designs on spinning reels, especially where original color was silver.

Shark Hunter

The stainless wiper inserts are the best ever for Senator replacement springs, however,
They need to be sanded down on a belt sander.
They are way too thick as is, but a definite upgrade from the brass ones.
I have been using Tic Tac containers lately for small parts.
As far as those breathable reel bags, I need an upgrade for the bigger Reels.
My Mom is a excellent seamstress, quilter and just handy with a needle.
She made My wife's wedding dress.
I'm going to call on her for some reel bags.
Life is Good!

Dominick

I thought I would get a reel bag, but I'm already married.  badoom boom.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

Here is how I secure line on spinners --

Use elastic hair bands for ponytails.

100 or 200 are around $7 on Amazon or your local stores like dollar tree or Wal-Bomb.

I have used rubber bands -- but they degenerate after awhile -- tape is a hassle and comes loose -- twist ties are a hassle -- velcro is OK, but much more expensive...

They just work quick and cheap -- and last and last.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dominick on July 09, 2017, 11:16:46 PM
I thought I would get a reel bag, but I'm already married.  badoom boom.  Dominick
And there you have it, ladies and Gentleman.
Dominick's Cheap Trick. :D
Life is Good!

Soren Bredberg

Like old cars they need a spin now and then.
Soren