Cheap Tricks

Started by foakes, July 06, 2017, 04:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reelrepair123

hi  fred            i use the same method for securing line on the spools, spinning and conventional,  like you said,  rubber bands  deterioate, tape comes loose, these work great and are cheap.   harryk

Decker

Quote from: reelrepair123 on July 10, 2017, 12:23:59 PM
hi  fred            i use the same method for securing line on the spools, spinning and conventional,  like you said,  rubber bands  deterioate, tape comes loose, these work great and are cheap.  
Not to mention colorful... And my daughters are always looking for one, so the bands could do double-duty on fishing trips  ;D

Gotta do the sock thing.

Cheap Tricks:  "Mommy's alright, Daddy's alright..."

reelrepair123

they just seem a little bit weird.   harryk

Midway Tommy

Quote from: reelrepair123 on July 10, 2017, 12:23:59 PM
hi  fred            i use the same method for securing line on the spools, spinning and conventional,  like you said,  rubber bands  deterioate, tape comes loose, these work great and are cheap.   harryk

X 2 ..... been using them for years. It took my wife awhile  ;), until she saw me pull out a lined extra spool, to finally figure out what was happening to all her hair bands :o , but, hey, they didn't cost me anything.  ;D Now I have to buy my own, her's are under lock & key.  :P 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

The cloth bags are a winner; could cut down & sew sleeves off old flannel shirts.  Sometimes, like when transporting gear, I'd like a little more impact resistance for my reels; I then go with a cleaned out margarine container (45 oz. size), either the round ones or the rectangular ones. Recycle & reuse.  Spinning reels fit OK, especially if you fold the handle down.

foakes

A few friends laugh at me for using these cafeteria trays for reel service and repair --

But they work really well for my style, keep a single reel separate from other reels, clean up easily, and last forever.

Hints -- the edge is beveled out smoothly -- so tiny parts with greasy fingers can just be slid up the edge easily, a nutdriver end sits perfectly in the corner -- so nuts and fasteners can be easily removed just by twisting the shank in your fingers, great when a reel needs to be set aside while waiting for parts.

Good tool tray also.

Less than $3 each on Amazon, including free shipping.  

Lighter colors are better for seeing dark, small parts.

The brand I have is Cambro -- which is available online, and any restaurant supply -- even Smart & Final.

Or, you can steal them from Taco Bell or Carl's Jr..

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Decker

I have heard that a Sharpie is good for coating unfinished aluminum, and will prevent corrosion.  I have used them for nicks in aluminum reels.  There are gold and silver ones available now. 

Can anyone confirm that this works long-term?

bluefish69

I can't say anything about Sharpies but I use Thin coats of Nail Polish. You can get any color you need

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Decker

Quote from: bluefish69 on July 11, 2017, 04:18:28 PM
I can't say anything about Sharpies but I use Thin coats of Nail Polish. You can get any color you need
Yes, I should try that.  My daughter would be best on that mission ::)  I get squirmy in the cosmetics department.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Decker on July 11, 2017, 04:24:40 PM
Yes, I should try that.  My daughter would be best on that mission ::)  I get squirmy in the cosmetics department.

Well.........you get better smirks there than you do in the frilly-lace & bra department.  :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

I have used the nail polish and its really good but depending where in the reel are you using it with will last or will be toast in few days, for places on the reel that might get some hits/rash or nicks I recommend to get those small "car scratch repair paint pens", there are some of them with clear coat.
your manhood will be intact  ;)
The Baja Guy

JRD

As someone has mentioned tic tac containers for small parts, but there are the large sized ones as well that will take all the internals of a reel up to a 4/0 size for safe storage and organizing small work spaces.  My work space is portable, a 50 Cal ammo can with three organizing trays.

MarkT

It was common to use clear nail polish to build up the edge of a spool to keep it from eating line.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Soren Bredberg

My wife knocks off ashtrays from clubs around the place. Got no idea why.

Soren

bluefish69

Joe if you go into that Dept. with the reel & ask her to match the color she would be happy to do it for you after the 2 of you stopped Blushing.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.