Squeaky handle

Started by r8rs4lf, July 08, 2017, 02:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r8rs4lf

Is it possible to remove the "N" insert in the handle to grease? I got one that squeaks a lot. If so, how?

Swami805

It will come out but will likely will ruin it. They're pressed in. Alot of times they squeak because they're bent a little. Maybe if you drill a little hole in it you could pry it out or at least get some oil in it. My guess is the spindle is bent though.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Fishy247

That's how you know it's a real Newell!! Lol...What I've done in the past is shoot some oil (TSI, 4 in 1, WD-40, whatever you have on hand) into the joint where the knob meets the handle. There's usually a little play at that point, so you can get the oil to creep in and work its magic. About half of my Newells have had handles that squeak at some point and that usually does the trick.

Mike

enfish

I removed all my N buttons a few years ago. Destroyed them all in the process, but I'm glad I got them out. One of my handles was squeaking and once I got the knob off, I discovered that the threaded end of the spindle had some major corrosion on it, most likely electrolysis from the stainless screw in the aluminum spindle. The squeaking was caused by aluminum oxide dust between the spindle and the knob. Now it's part of my annual tear down to take the knob off and make sure everything stays greased up well.

Hamachi

I haven't found a way to remove them, at least a 1/4" deep all the way around 1/16" thick. Rivet on the inside. Drill a small hole to lube. Or drill the whole thing out
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!