East Cape, Baja Mexico June 22- July 1 2017

Started by Cortez_Conversions, July 08, 2017, 05:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortez_Conversions

Well, after a rough start, we made it back to Baja.
You can see a few pics and video's on our FaceBook page. I'll add some here when I figure out what to do about this Photobucket thing....

We fished six out of the available eight days, with one day off for Chubasco Dora. She stayed 250 miles south, but still blew in some swell and wind.

Overall the fishing was slow. Just before we got there, the water temp dropped almost 9 degrees and went green.

Thursday: Flew in and sorted gear. Thanks TSA for breaking Rob's brand new Seeker Rod!

Friday: Shore fishing for the fun! Lots of Ladyfish and assorted fun.

Saturday: Ten minutes into the troll we hung a huge( to me) Blue Marlin. I was actually surprised how fast David was able to boat this fish. He put it boat side in about 40 minutes. This fish just kept getting bigger and bigger as it got closer to boat. There is some GoPro footage on FB, but nothing to give scale. I'd bet that the tail from tip to tip was over four feet. Of course the only rod that wasn't a Cortez Conversions set up got bit. It was a Shimano boat stick.

Sunday: I think was up north and we ended up with a Jack(released) and a 10-12 pound hen Dorado that went to El Pirata for dinner! We ate at this little place almost every night!

Monday: We got blanked. Took a few nice naps on the boat.

Tuesday:Dora came thru.

Wednesday: Targeted Roosters and inshore fish. A few LDR's. David got a nice Threadfin Pompano.

Thursday: Offshore trolling for nada.

Friday: Chased radio tuna almost 40 miles south for two football Yellowfin. Moved a bit north and east and picked up five more tuna.

Saturday: back to reality......

I spent some time throwing jigs with Squidders on the inshore days and picked up a few Triggerfish for ceviche.
One of the reels had a tic.... on the cast it seemed like the pinion was lightly dragging. There was an audible buzz. Not sure about this, has anyone else had this happen?

Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

mizmo67

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on July 08, 2017, 05:20:14 PM
I spent some time throwing jigs with Squidders on the inshore days and picked up a few Triggerfish for ceviche.
One of the reels had a tic.... on the cast it seemed like the pinion was lightly dragging. There was an audible buzz. Not sure about this, has anyone else had this happen?
Tom

Does the yoke have the groove worn into it? That's when that will start to sort of grind the way a bad ball bearing does..could be the early stage of it?

*Edit: You probably have an SS yoke in there, but given enough time the same groove could still apply..it's just less likely than it would be with the brass
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Cortez_Conversions

Thanks Mo,
The Yoke is stock, maybe this is the info I need to switch to stainless....
I haven't torn it down yet. I'll let you know.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal