Insert drag kits: All sizes

Started by Three se7ens, July 09, 2017, 05:36:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

Quote from: handi2 on November 01, 2017, 02:35:49 PM
Adam i sent you a Daiwa 910 gear set many moons ago so you could work up a system for them. Did this ever happen?

Keith

Sure did. I made a few, and got practically no interest. I still have a couple of sets if you want any. I have them got the 600h/610 as well.

mikeysm

Do you have any Penn 118 insert kits.

Mike

handi2

Quote from: Three se7ens on November 01, 2017, 03:31:01 PM
Quote from: handi2 on November 01, 2017, 02:35:49 PM
Adam i sent you a Daiwa 910 gear set many moons ago so you could work up a system for them. Did this ever happen?

Keith

Sure did. I made a few, and got practically no interest. I still have a couple of sets if you want any. I have them got the 600h/610 as well.

Adam when you get time I would like one of the insert kits for the gear set I sent you. I do need the gear set and whatever else I sent you so I can put that reel back together.

No hurry.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

Ill get the gear, sleeve, and a drag kit in the mail to you asap.  I didnt realize you needed it back.

Mike, I do have 118 insert kits in stock.  Send me a PM with your email address and how many you want(or any other parts) and Ill send you an invoice.

Fishy247

I'd like to get an insert for  my 113 and for a 500 if you have them.

Thanks,
Mike

handi2

I need more 114H kits also. I thi had some but they are gone.

I'll need 6 please.

Plus 2 for the Daiwa 900.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Three se7ens

Quote from: handi2 on February 15, 2018, 09:12:59 PM
I need more 114H kits also. I thi had some but they are gone.

I'll need 6 please.

Plus 2 for the Daiwa 900.

Keith

I need to cut some more 114H/115 inserts, but Ill make sure yours are at the top of the list, along with the daiwa 900 ones.

David Hall

You get my payment for the 113parts?

Alto Mare

Hello Adam, a little while back I asked for a couple of sets of washers for the Dam reel and asked to let me know when they were ready. If you've made some please send them, if you've forgotten about it and need to make more, not a problem...I do not mind being at the bottom of that list, as long as I'm on it :).

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

farmer56

Hi  Adam....  farmer 56  here.....  i would  like  one  set  of  114h  inserts   also....   and  two   set  of  113h  inserts......P M  me  when  ready.....   thank  you  farmer  out   , oh  and  by  the  way  i  would  want  two  sets  of  112h  insert  if  ever  its  made

Three se7ens

I will have a few more 114H insert kits available next week.  The 113H and 112H kits will be ~ 3 weeks out.

The Dam quick washers are cut, but I havent had a chance to put together the kits yet.  That's on my agenda for next week.  I have 25 sets cut, so it should be enough for everyone. 

canoecaper

Greets, I have fitted the 113H set to a high speed SS gear set "Pro Challenger".
I needed electricians tape to prevent the SS insert lifting in use and allowing the bottom carbon to pop out the end of the insert.
Also, no heat path from the insert to the ring of the gear.
The featured pic, clearly shews the gap.
Easy to fit and after Cal's grease will pull an easy working 25lbs.  Locked down with my big Aftco star I reckon it will go well over 30lbs.
Quite enough for my rod reel pairing.
The 114H kit is a different matter.
A brass insert that I have driven into my 114H high speed "Pro Challenger set" using a soft blow lead shot filled mallet.
A delicious interference fit and with a proper heat transfer path.
The insert is decidedly thinner so coupled with the fit, a significantly higher proportion of the gear cavity is available for friction materials.
My older pattern 114H has external clutch servicing access.  The stack drops straight in.
These older reels, could hold a taller insert as well, to take another pair.  I believe later models do not have such a luxury.
Pulls an easy 50lbs.  (Stack greased again.)  Another massive Aftco star.  More than my Cousins Classic bottom fishing blank needs.
I am absolutely ecstatic.
I am eagerly awaiting kits for the 970 / 980 of which I use several.
I believe the metal friction washers are Ti.  Could this be part of the secret?
Rgds.

Three se7ens

Quote from: canoecaper on February 25, 2018, 05:41:05 PM
Greets, I have fitted the 113H set to a high speed SS gear set "Pro Challenger".
I needed electricians tape to prevent the SS insert lifting in use and allowing the bottom carbon to pop out the end of the insert.
Also, no heat path from the insert to the ring of the gear.
The featured pic, clearly shews the gap.
Easy to fit and after Cal's grease will pull an easy working 25lbs.  Locked down with my big Aftco star I reckon it will go well over 30lbs.
Quite enough for my rod reel pairing.
The 114H kit is a different matter.
A brass insert that I have driven into my 114H high speed "Pro Challenger set" using a soft blow lead shot filled mallet.
A delicious interference fit and with a proper heat transfer path.
The insert is decidedly thinner so coupled with the fit, a significantly higher proportion of the gear cavity is available for friction materials.
My older pattern 114H has external clutch servicing access.  The stack drops straight in.
These older reels, could hold a taller insert as well, to take another pair.  I believe later models do not have such a luxury.
Pulls an easy 50lbs.  (Stack greased again.)  Another massive Aftco star.  More than my Cousins Classic bottom fishing blank needs.
I am absolutely ecstatic.
I am eagerly awaiting kits for the 970 / 980 of which I use several.
I believe the metal friction washers are Ti.  Could this be part of the secret?
Rgds.

All of the thin metal washers are titanium, while the thick one for the top of the stack is stainless steel. 

As for heat transfer, the very little goes through the sides of the gears.  It is primarily through the bottom and top of the drag stack.  There just isnt enough surface area on the sides to have any meaningful effect, whether it is stock drags or my insert kit. 

Glad youre enjoying it, Im looking forward to seeing you pulling some fish with it.

mikeysm

I like the aluminum 16/0 118 insert. These drags get very hot if you are fighting a big shark. The aluminum will help with the heat transfer.

Mike

otghoyt

Hi Adam, Hoyt here....I am need of a 114 insert and full plate kit, please.  If you have a SS gear sleeve, I need one of those as well.  I could really use a couple larger drag stars to crank down on your drag inserts. The little stock 114 stars are very small when you're talking 40-50-60# drag numbers.  I know the threads are a pain but....Help! Seriously!