Neptuna penn 349 cradle

Started by mikeysm, July 10, 2017, 06:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

Can someone tell me if the back end comes apart on the cradle rod seat.

Mike

Bill B

Mike not sure which part you are referring to, but if it's the handle that is inserted into the cradle then it is more than likely epoxied in.  The one I worked on was a tight fit and held in place with a nail.  Pretty crude way of doing it.  When I rebuilt mine, I wound dacron line on the shaft and glued it in place.

I would try some boiling water and see if that loosens it.

Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

54bullseye

If your talking the wooden butt end I think boiling water might swell the wood and make it harder to get out. But a lot of Nep-Tuna butts were fiberglass with rubber grips so depends on material. Post a few pictures and maybe we can help.
John Taylor

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Mike, most of them are glued but I have seen two that had threaded fittings so you could take the butt off but leave the reel rigged up on the rod, an early version of the Aftco Storabutt.

mikeysm

Thanks for the information I wanted to work on the butt section. But the wood is in good shape. It also needs a new Ferell its a early style. I will machine a newer style that locks in place.

Mike

Bill B

Mike I see yours got the Swiss Cheese treatment too....drilled for 349 and 49.....Your butt section is most likely glued in.....a careful application of a heat gun should melt the glue holding the butt in the cradle...CAREFUL is the key word here brother.....unless you do not mind sacrificing the finish on the butt as there does not appear to be any finish on the cradle it's self....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mikeysm

The holes I believe are factory drilled for either reel. I want to anodize the frame. I also may want to change the butt section. One screw broke off and needs to be drilled out. I have a 5-40 heli coil kit coming if necessary. Where do i find a blank that fits the ferell.

Mike

The Great Maudu

Measure the ID of your ferrule. Check out suppliers sites that sell blanks. You will be able to find one that comes close. Use masking tape to get a snug fit, Epoxy the blank butt into the ferrule and you're good to go.

droppedit

Most all the blank catalogs show the butt diameter. When gluing in the rod to the ferrule 2 things to think of. If it is a keyed ferrule make sure you spine the rod to the key. Also scuff up the inside of the ferrule and the same to the outside of the blank. This will allow the epoxy to bond better and have less risk of slipping under pressure. I've always used Rod Bond for this. As long as it is mixed right there shouldn't be any problems.

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

mikeysm

Here are a couple of pictures Sheridan sent me of my cradle rod he is wrapping for me.

Mike

droppedit

Sheridan, what are you going to use for the finish? The wraps look superb!

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

mikeysm

We talked about it and I decided not to use varnish because if the rod was fished the varnish will eventually crack.

Mike

54bullseye

Looking good Mike !! Should be a nice looking combo when done !! Whatcha gonna fish for with it ?   John Taylor

Swami805

Sorry for the lousey pictures, Looks way better in person. On the 3rd coat of color perservre and will get the finish on this weekend. It has some original decals on it. A little tricky to work around. Coming along great.
We've been having random power outages here which is no bueno for the rod dryer.
Hope to be done over the weekend.
Thanks Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

54bullseye

Sheridan
What type blank did you use it looks old school ??  Beautiful work !   John Taylor