Grander hammerhead caught in Texas

Started by Bill B, July 11, 2017, 02:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ScottOz

Wow. What a monster. My pb for hammers is a massive 4ft.

sdlehr

Here's another hammerhead video. I think this guy is definitely out where he shouldn't have been fighting this fish.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Decker

That is crazy huge.  As Tarfu said, too bad it had to die.  The rod and reel look like toys, next to the shark.

otownjoe

One giant shark killed is a shame. Two giants killed in a fundraising tournament is inexcusable. The promoters of this event should be hung upside down so I can take a picture of them. That way I will know which charities to never give money to. Joe

RowdyW

Quote from: otownjoe on July 11, 2017, 01:30:48 PM
One giant shark killed is a shame. Two giants killed in a fundraising tournament is inexcusable. The promoters of this event should be hung upside down.          Joe
And not by the feet!   >:(

Steve-O

Yeah....you think the tourney would evolve up to the 21st century. 

Have an aerial crew or drones on the boats film the hook up, fight, tag and release.

A visible measuring device on the boat would serve as the "tale of the tape" vs one less living shark and a carcass to dispose of. Sad...

akfish

It's absolutely **horrible** to kill these majestic animals. But I have to ask: Was the meat at least salvaged and eaten? I know tiger shark is supposed to be good. Has anyone eaten hammerhead?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Decker

Quote from: Steve-O on July 11, 2017, 02:29:21 PM
Have an aerial crew or drones on the boats film the hook up, fight, tag and release.
Not a bad idea, but the thought of drones becoming common in fishing is a scary one.   Another way of putting more pressure on the fish.  But it is already happening...

biggiesmalls

Agreed with what everyone here has said. No reason to kill the fish, not sure why they feel the need to do so. Look at the super old-school SFSC guys - they've got their big hammer tournament where you're DQ'd if you can't prove the shark was released alive.

To add to the conversation - IGFA should bend the rules for sharks and other fragile species that have a good size to them - so that scientific weights based on length and girth are accepted, versus having to kill the fish.

Shark Hunter

I have to respond to this.
It is aggravating.
They have to live with it.
My 89" Hammer swam away like a bat out of Hell.
I am grabbing him in this picture to send him on his way.
Life is Good!

jnd1959

I agree that they should not have a kill tournament for sharks.  The Texas shark-a-thon in October is a CPR tourney, beach only.  That being said, it has been my observation that the big hammerheads, those over 100 inches, don't have a good survival rate specially from the beach.  Honestly, I'd like to think I would break off a big hammerhead if I couldn't get him in quickly, but I'm human and we'll have too see if I ever hook one. I would not want to see that fish next to my kayak in any event.

ChileRelleno

Sometimes you can go out with every intention of catch, tag and release, and still lose a beautiful fish.
Even if you do everything within your power, quick fight, kept in the water and efforts made to revive.
Daron and I lost this 11'5" Great Hammer to injuries and exhaustion.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Shark Hunter

Yes,
But it was Unintentional. We didn't want a trophy or a parade or to string it up for all to see.
It was alive when I took that picture, then gone in an instant, when we were taking her back out.
It weighed on me for several months.
My Son Mike and I tried to revive her in waist deep water for over thirty minutes.
I still think about it and wonder if I should have tried longer.
I can't say it won't happen again.
Some things are out of your control, but I think we both learned from it.
As masters of their Domain, they are fragile in ours,
Daron
Life is Good!

Bill B

Having followed Daron and Chile, I can only image the heart ache losing such a creature.  You two are painstakingly meticulous in preparation and strive for the quick turn around.  I'm hoping the meat was salvaged for the dinner plate.  It is one thing to lose a fish to unforeseen circumstances, a completely different thing to kill a fish for a tournament.   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!