Drag "start up" ona old Standard 250.

Started by Gfish, July 11, 2017, 07:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Gotta early '50's era reel I really love, especially after complete disassembly and seeing the engineering, tolarences, material quality. As Fred(foakes) says "overbuilt"! Only one plastic part, the handle knob. These reels seem to have been produced by guys/gals that were proud a what they were doin.

The drag has too much "start-up" hesitation at the med. to higher settings.

So there's a well made drag system, but not alota focus on smooth function. The only other non-metal part is the single fiber lookin/feelin drag washer. Need suggestions/opinions/direct experience info. on this. Replace?, diffrent material?, dry or wet? add somethin else? This site has SPOILED me when it comes to good drag function!
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Suggestion might be to try (1) Cal's drag greased new felt washer --

And then, (1) new dry felt washer --

Then one felt washer impregnated with TSI321...

See which you prefer.

Also check the function of the (2) opposite wound bail springs -- to your satisfaction after cleaned and one drop of oil in each.

I can send you what you need at N/C.

What you see in the pics, is very possibly the largest stash of NOS DAM Quick Standard 250 & SW68 parts in the world -- from around 65 to 70 years ago -- as far as I know?  And this is only part of them...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gfish

Thanks, Fred. So, I take it I'm missin a felt washer. Would it go just underneath the drag knob, or directly underneath the spool(on topa the fiber washer)or underneath the fiber washer?

I'll pm your gentlemanlike and scholarly self with my mail info. and as always, not forget a favor from a bro. and also try myself, to pay it forward. Can I get a felt washer and a fiber one too?
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!