A few of my Vintage reels

Started by Gfish, July 11, 2017, 07:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

So, I don't actively collect antique tackle n' reels,  but I have a few items that I happen across, that interest me.
Perhaps latter,  I'll post some of my brothers reels along with some lures.
A "4BROTHERS4" Mohawk. Mabey an imitation of the Penn Mariner series?
Seems pretty solid. Wood knob. Wood cast control unit that doesn't seem to be aftermarket, and rubs on the edges of the spool. Works ok for a direct drive-"knuckle buster".
More latter.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

Cool reel brother.....looks like it would be fun to use....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

sdlehr

Strange, they all look like the same reel!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Gfish

Yeah Sid, all the same reel, diffrent views.

Here's a "Castey" from the Clarkston Co., Belmont, Calif. If I remember correctly, these were popular in casting contests after modifications. This'n also seems to have a platform similar to the Penn Mariner---tall and narrow. Thin (some kinda?) metal sideplates, 3 large screws ona thin stand, nice thick double posts. Overall a very light-weight reel.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Midway Tommy

I'm pretty sure your wood cast control was originally a piece of leather (thumb pad) riveted to those brackets. It probably rotted or wore out and some someone just replaced it with that piece of wood and a couple of small screws. Generally the leather was narrower than the spool sides so you could slow the line flow, not necessarily the spool spin. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Gfish

This is a "Rogue 150", a lefty. Featured by Fred(foakes), in a post on the board:Photogallery.  Fred's pictures are gone for the time being, but he's gotta good historical article that still exists: "Sorting through old reels".

This early '60's reel has some good and diffrent engineering and really seems to be built to last. The drag is really something else. Please reference Fred's article.
Gfish

Gfish

This one was probably pretty popular in its day: Pflueger Akron No.1893 L(levelwind). There's alot of 'em still out there. A knuckle buster, with a clicker, adjustable bushings(one jeweled), spare pawl, ana unique adjustable drag?, or spool control? One full turn puts an increasing amount of pressure on the spool, but only ends up about 0.25lbs a pull resistance. Pretty good direct-drive/levelwind spinning time on this one.
Gfish

Gfish

This one's a Bache Brown Mastereel, model 3. A very solid spinner and just like others from this era, the only plastic's the handle knob and the drag control knob.
Gfish

Gfish

A nice inshore-size spinner: A Pflueger 1050 Sea Star. Good for packing away, it has
fold away features: handle, stem and bail. Pretty good line capicity too. Four knowen plastic parts on this one: bail washer, drag knob, handle knob and a single drag washer/clicker unit on the bottom of the spool. Nice tough reel, without tryin to save on weight by using cheap materials.
Gfish

Gfish

My favorite antique?, vintage?, spinner: A DAM Quick Standard 250, circa 1950-'54. As Fred(foaks) says: "overbuilt". These guy's got it right; tolarences, materials, unique engineering features, fine thread screws everywhere, which I love when it comes to replace/repair opportunities. After complete disassembly, don't see any evidence of any repairs or adjustments ever done(even the bail trip-ramp-height is adjustable). Of course there's no perfect reel: this one's got a solid but too simple drag system with only one fiber washer. That washer and the handle knob are the only non-metal parts I know about. There's a drag start-up issue at the mid-higher settings. It could just be the old washer... A rudimentry somewhat inadequate drag is pretty typical for older spinners though. Or, this forum has spoiled me with all the great drag upgrades available.
The term "proud of their work" comes to mind after gettin into this one.
Gfish
Note: HELP!, I'm dyin a no-fishing spirit, big-city, domestic("honey just one more thing I need you to do while you're here") slow death here on the mainland---Gotta get back to my Island and my kayak soon..., please, no delays... So, partially outta boredom, I posted some a my stuff I 've got stored here. Thanks, if you're still with me, for readin n' lookin. While I's gone, my wife who hates tv, canceled the service! No sports('cept the A's game I went to---they lost---Houston's  lookin real good), no premium channels, just lots a domestic maintenance, Church life, Asian resturants and "conversation"...

Bill B

Great bunch of reels brother....keep postin' and I'll keep reading......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

... and I'll look at the pitchers.
-steve

oldmanjoe

I like the start of your collection ,  and i am a dam fan....   joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

happyhooker

Ditto what Old Man Joe said.  Especially the spinners.  Hoping for more!

Gfish

Ok, cool! But I gotta cut it short as my wife's gearin up for my departure, with domestic improvement projects.

I found one a my bros. vintage reels thats crying out for attention. I know, huh... A possible '40's Longbeach #60 with a cracked  in half picture tail plate! An unmitigatable disaster!? Probably... Gotta try though. Might be expensive to replace. Be the tail plate and inner ring and I've yet to open the left side up. Gonna have to pack it up, bring it home and give it a go.
Gfish