Previous topic - Next topic

Is this things to come when fishing in Mexico

Should we fish later in the season
0 (0%)
Make sure the boat has the permit for Guadalupe
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Fleet

Giving a quick report on my 5 day fishing trip aboard the Shogun from June 30th through the 5th of July got a board Russ had the meeting with us said that everything was pretty slow up North so we would have to travel two days to the ridge to fish the boat didn't get the permit for Guadalupe in time so we were forced Way South and
I really wanted to fish the island and get that off my bucket list, unfortunately the Mexican government had not issued  the permit for the boat. Got there two days later to the rigde fish two spots that day and then went north that night. We ended up south of San Benito for some rockfish ended up three yellowtail 25 - 30 lbs. Russ was awesome and the crew did a hell of a job putting us on fish just wondering if the Mexican Government will ever let go of that biosphere situation and allow long-range fishing boats to go back to most of the islands that are close now as far as the boat goes the owner really isn't putting any money back into the boat to keep it up to par with the rest of the fleet if I had to do it all over again I'd wait until later in the year and probably not fish on that boat even though Russ and the crew are awesome and the food was great. I know it's called fishing not catching but what we did, most 8 to 10 day trips do just really tough fishing with a 2-day boat ride just to pick up some yellows
And rock fish, on a positive note the boat did out fish the fleet for that week. Thanks to Russ and the crew we were able to have a fairly good trip.

coastal_dan

Thanks for the update and report!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

whalebreath

Quote from: Fleet on July 12, 2017, 11:51:27 PM
wondering if the Mexican Government will ever let go of that biosphere situation and allow long-range fishing boats to go back to most of the islands that are close now
Not a hope of that if anyone gets permission it'll be Mexican owned operations of various types not gringos who put ZIP back into the local economy.
Quote from: Fleet on July 12, 2017, 11:51:27 PMas far as the boat goes the owner really isn't putting any money back into the boat to keep it up to par with the rest of the fleet if I had to do it all over again I'd wait until later in the year and probably not fish on that boat
What you just experienced was the Beginning of the End of LR fishing as it was once.

Well everything changes and old tubs like the Shogun will be kept closer & closer to home/sold to cheaper operators and end it's days doing overnight trips.