330gti washer main gear washer replacement

Started by ScottOz, July 13, 2017, 10:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Going to service a Penn 330gti and want to replace the washer under the main gear. Alan's tutorial say's replace with Penn part #6-875.A call to Penn Australia was no good, they gave me Jarvis Walker Australia's number and again no part available they say. Is there another washer that could be used? What reel dose part #6-875 come from?
Scott.

akfish

You can just use the stock washer, 004 349. 006 875 comes from a long discontinued line counter reel. That washer may bump up the drag of a 330 a tiny amount but I've found the reel works fine stock.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Hamachi

Try 6-113 or 6-155 or a 6-60 they're all about the same size to me but the thickness is different. May have fitment issues with the height of the 6-113 but this is the best one if it fits because it's fiberglass sandwiched between two carbon fiber weaves. Or thicker whatever it is.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

akfish

6-155 and 6-060 have too small of an inner diameter to fit, and 6-113 is too thick.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Hamachi

You can roll a piece of sandpaper up and bore out the center larger to fit if you have to. If it's too thick you'll have to look for a way to reduce the stack height, maybe replace a thick washer with a thin one. Or just sand down the backside of the 113, it's not going to spin on the ratchet anyway. Or I guess you could keep it stock, but that wasn't the question now was it?

handi2

Quote from: ScottOz on July 13, 2017, 10:01:20 AM
Going to service a Penn 330gti and want to replace the washer under the main gear. Alan's tutorial say's replace with Penn part #6-875.A call to Penn Australia was no good, they gave me Jarvis Walker Australia's number and again no part available they say. Is there another washer that could be used? What reel dose part #6-875 come from?
Scott.

Just use one of the drag washers..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ScottOz

Thanks guys, have never been happy with the jerky drag in it but the drag has been dry.Have cal's now and maybe will do the service and give the drag washers a coat of calls and see how smooth that makes it.Was going to throw everything at it by replacing the main gear washer but will keep stock one and see.Thankyou.

handi2

Where are you located? I could mail you one. A Delrin washer for under the gear.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

ScottOz

Hi Keith,
I am in Australia. Thanks for that offer. The stock washer I have is in fine working order. Was looking for the cf one trying to improve the drag. Think after I do the service and slap some Cal's drag grease in there it will improve the drag a lot. Last time I did a service on it was long before I found this site and all the wisdom it provides. Drag stack is dry so Cal's grease should help I hope.
Thanks Scott.

Wolli

The washer under the main gear is 1mm thick.
The delrin washer will increase the performance but not the drag.
For to get more drag glue a cf washer under one or two of the eared metal washers. Have done in some star drag reels this year. E.g. the drag of a 114H was increased from 5kg to 18kg. Measured from full spool! Take care not to damage the reel....
love jigging    www.jupiter-sunrise-lodge.com/de/
Authorized Jigging Master Service Partner (in Germany)

Hamachi

A partial list from Alan Tani's ht-100 sizes, if anyone is still interested in trying this modification themselves. As you can see the 113 washer has the smallest inner diameter of the three I mentioned. Buy several as these will fit many different star drag and spinning reels. Hopefully this will be the first in a long line of modifications to your reels in the near future. Sure, mistakes will be made, but stock is just so boring. What impresses me the most about this reel is the stock five stack drag it already possesses. Throw on a t-bar style handle and longer arm and I believe you'll have an outstanding rock cod and yo-yo jig reel for the deep drop style of fishing in waters off the California and Mexican coast.