Old Sticks & Winders

Started by foakes, July 13, 2017, 04:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Starting to get a few setups ready for the AT High Sierra Edison Lake trip starting next mid week.

Going to have some setups ready for folks to use, plus lures, trolling stuff, etc...

Pulled out a couple of good custom Fenwick's for the 209's with lead core -- one stiff, and one noodle with a good backbone.

Also will have Quicks, ABU Cardinals, Mitchells, Daiwas, Penns, etc..

Setting up a fly rig for one of our members.

Anyway -- while picking out rods and gear, came across some old interesting stuff --

A beautiful mint green Shakespeare glass WonderRod with a Pflueger Skillcast LW mounted on it -- old silk line.

A Unispin under rod spincast combo with the cast button "through" to the topside of the rod.

A Heddon rod marked "Heddon Pal" rod with a pivoting reel that looks like a pencil sharpener.

Lot of history here -- if they could talk.  We will try to listen to the stories from 60 or 70 years ago -- and use our imagination.

The fishermen are long gone -- but the quality gear remains to be discovered by new generations of anglers.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mizmo67

The Heddon Pal is a neat little combo.

Fun looking at the old gear.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

oldmanjoe

Quote from: mizmo67 on July 13, 2017, 09:11:33 PM
The Heddon Pal is a neat little combo.

Fun looking at the old gear.
I second that ....   that is a cool looking reel .   joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

wfjord

That green Howald wound Wonderod ---that's a beaut!!!  Any idea what year it is? Length?  What does the seat look like?

oc1

I'd like to see that rod too.  Many Wonderods have a date code.  http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5183005/Shakespeare
-steve

foakes

Don't know as much about rods as reels (and am still learning about reels).

Shakespeare Wonderod baitcasting.

Length is 70".

Howland process.

Spring loaded trigger for attaching reel.

6 line guides.

No date codes.  Experts here would know -- but likely late 40's to mid 50's?

I might have around 400 rods upstairs -- and possibly 80 to 120 of them are old baitcasters.

This rod is in such good condition, I suspect it might be a restoration of at least the threads and guides -- and if so, it was done by someone who left the label intact.  If restored, it was done by someone with a professional skill level like Jon or Dwight.

Looks pretty good with an old Bronson left-handed 2200 Green Hornet and silk line.

To me, at least, the quality of these old rods is extraordinary.

If anyone is interested, I could pull out the old baitcasting rods -- just for fun.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

wfjord

Thanks, Fred. Nice looking rod. The guides on your rod look identical in style to the original guides on a 1 pc 7'6" wound glass Shakespeare spinning rod I bought in the mid '70s (and still have). The rod I bought came from an old tackle shop that had a ton of rods and it could have been older stock by several years, but not as old as yours.
For many years Shakespeare had a rod factory here. Also their HQ --and parts department which I frequented from time to time.

foakes

Found a few more interesting rods --

More Wonderods in Mint Green & Peach, Garcia Conolons, Coits, Roddy, JC Higgins, and many more.

Found an old SouthBend 1571 Deluxe in a Tube and sock.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Donnyboat

great collection Fred, thanks for posting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

wfjord

That's a very nice collection, Fred.  And another green Wonderod, spin variety.

A brief history of Shakespeare from 1896 to 2005; and rod history:
http://mpf.shakespeare-fishing.com/history/index.shtml
http://mpf.shakespeare-fishing.com/antiques/rods.pdf

Penn Chronology

Find the Unispin very interesting. Believe it is True Temper product. Don't see too many of them.