Set of five rigs for my buddy, built on the cheap....

Started by thorhammer, July 14, 2017, 07:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

I have a separate thread for crap to gold, but this is a similar project. My best friend wanted five outfits to round out his racks in his cave. He says 'what do you have you don't care about for a $100? I said "if I don't care about them, I don't buy them. But can you go $150 for some front line stuff (for his needs)? I ended up about $180 in but I planned on building the popping rod as a gift anyway. I think he did ok:

8' Popping rod, which is our preferred striper technique, with a new Daiwa spinner and braid. Full refurb; I bought the rod for a buck at flea market and rebuilt with guides and seat from a Tica a guy very ill-advisedly but braid on trolled for kings...he gave me all three pieces. About $38 in the combo including braid.

Two Ambassaduer five-width series on 6' composite rods: Flea market finds at different times: Bass pro rod for $10, Abu rod for a dollar and replaced tip, both Abu reels for $11. $27 for  both, with mono.

9' surf rod with Mitchell 302: I got the rod essentially for free, paying for combo what I wanted to pay reel on it. 302 was part of estate sale I made my money back on so essentially free.

6"3" Magnaflex fully refurbished with VGC 6/0, with six new shark rigs. Magnaflex, same as above. Prolly around $20 in bits to build it. First marbling attempt and I put his initials on the foreguard. 6/0 with SS spool and steel gears for $40 at pawn shop, $8 in new 50lb mono. 

All reels got fresh line, all reels serviced, three of the rods fully rewrapped (popper rod  stripped to blank and started over. Note Blue and white theme, we were roommates at UNC). I have about 15 hours in the project but it was a neat challenge to see what kind of package you can wheel and deal into, and he is thrilled. Hope fully he will beach a shark this coming week with the outfit. pics coming, server slow.

thorhammer

pics

thorhammer

STRIPER LOU

Nicely done John! I'll bet he sure is happy.

...............Lou

Shark Hunter

Nice builds John. I really like the looks of that 6/0 rig.
Life is Good!

swill88

mhc

Looks good John, 2 ABUs with rods and line for $27 - you've gotta be happy with that!

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

sdlehr

Well done, John. More impressive considering you don't have a thread wrapper.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

tristan

From the OP:

"I think he did OK"

Yes.

Yes he did.

Incredible both in your ability to refurb and find such deals!

Not to mention, you must be a great friend to have!    ;)