First acid wrap and first dragon Scale

Started by steelfish, July 14, 2017, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Finally have the time ( I forced it between other rods) to rewrap on of my own rods, actually this was where everything started few months back almost a year I think, I wanted to build me a rod with the colors on my favorite soccer team, so I learned the basic to wrap my own rod but somehow everything got outta control and ended up rebuiliding 10-15 rods for other guys before doing mine, ooh well.

that really helped a lot cuz now I took my time and wanted gave it a try to dragon scales and acid wrap, heck if it was my own rod I could handle if I made a mess on it, so I went for it, my first time on both techniques but of course I read tons of tips on acid wras and saw hours and hours of videos so, I was confident to make a good job.
it was a factory made musky rod from Gander Mnt, I love this rod for inshore fishing for sierras, corvinas, croakers and big Cabrillas, so it was a perfect candidate for me to get a face lift, this rod have years been married with my calcutta 400TE so, it will look awesome with all the gold accents with the gold reel.

so, he it is, few pics on how the rod looked in its factory made suit and then some pics on how it looks currently

and last, the whity thingy on the epoxy ramp on the front grip, it was just for giggles, it looks good on the ramp but its actually a luminescent dust to paint lures for the deep, dont believe me, check this out

it brigths so intense that it could light up the rod rack drawer when its recently "charged", it has 0% usage on fishing but who cares. :P ;D

Note: for those who noticed bumpy clear coat job, I also used 2k automotive clear coat as "varnish" after taking the black paint on the blank and left a naked graphite blank I stoped as soon as the graphite was visible, I wanted to get the naked look of the graphite, the bumpy clear coat job was made on purpose to add some unique look to the blank, first after sanding a bit the naked blank I put 4-5 coats of 2k clear which were as smooth as rod building epoxy is and next day I poured many drops of 2k clear coat all over the blank when the formula was starting to get thicker while the rod was on the drier turning, took my heat gun to help the drops to run from the top to the bottom on diameter of the blank as soon as I saw the clear about to drop on the bottom I took the excesss out, it seemed to work like it was my idea and I actually liked the final product, all the blank has some kind of smooth collars/rings surface.  

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

steelfish

The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

I think you did a great job .      I like the colors .     Let me ask , why did you go left hand twist ,  most go right hand twist ?    joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

steelfish

Quote from: oldmanjoe on July 15, 2017, 01:14:43 AM
I think you did a great job .      I like the colors .     Let me ask , why did you go left hand twist ,  most go right hand twist ?    joe

As far as Í understand, Right twist is to protect the bumper / transition guides with the reel , left twist is to help to align the Line easier while recovering it, you just have to push it a bit to the right with your left thumb then the line tends to return to the left of the spool, I actually tried that on an open field and worked really good with a trini 16
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Ok i under stand that theory , what i have tried was to clock my first guide 11-  11.30sh so as to favor the left side of the reel .  pushing the line to the right with the thumb .
    This supposedly  gives you  the protection to lay the rod down keeping the reel handle and bumper facing upward .     Just  tidbit info ,no rite or wrong .      joe
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Tiddlerbasher

I like :)
For a spiral rap I also do it to the left - It just seems more natural for line lay. I never just lay my rods down.

Fishy247

Very cool stuff! Nice to get your practice wraps(aka buddy's rods) out of the way first...lol.
Keep up the good work and cool ideas! I like that glow dust idea. Might have to try that one out...

Mike

Alto Mare

Cool Alex! That glowing ring should come handy in the dark, might be a good idea to put one on the tip as well on your next build.
Good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Miles & Sal,  the glow ring could have more use on a bait & wait rod tip, or for  cat fishing rods Í know some even have incorpored a light with  battery
I normally dont fish at night
The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

Alex, you just keep raising your bar with great success. That is a cool looking rod and one to test your patience as well with all the scale work. Well done.

steelfish

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 15, 2017, 10:39:08 PM
.....and one to test your patience as well with all the scale work. Well done.

Tell me about it, I really dont know if I will do all those scales again even on another personal rod.
But it looks goooood!!

Personally I Line the candy apple effect that the blue color got when wrapped over the gold metallic thread
The Baja Guy

STRIPER LOU

Looks great Alex and the color combo is outstanding. Top shelf work as usual!

..................Lou

oc1

Nice stick!  Alex, I saw where you have a good reel for casting on this rod (the 400).  Are you doing any casting with it?  Any comment or opinion about what the acid wrap does to casting distance or accuracy.  The dogma is that acid wrap will not cast well, but I never heard of anybody who actually tried it.  Thanks,
-steve

Jeri

Another supporter for the left hand spiral, it just seems so natural.

We tried it on some surf rods for a while, too radical for the natives, they thought it was an April Fools joke, but can confirm that the dogma is wrong, little or no difference in casting over a standard casting rod built on the same blank and with similar size guides. Just the actual performance under load is way better than conventional styles. Still have my own prototype acid wrapped surf rod, for the rare occasions that I take out a multiplier and nylon.